• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible to change your uni timetable? (1 Viewer)

Orphen89

HSC
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to change your uni timetable to suit yourself, or does it depend on the electives you choose? I ask this because I heard that you could change your timetable so that you only have to go to uni 2 days in one week, and I want to be able to do this because it is quite far away from where I live, with travel time going up to even an hour and a half just to get to uni.

Thanks in advance.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
You can customise your timetable, yes (although at some unis the process is a bit difficult). Whether you can fit everything into two days depends on how many class hours you have in total (which varies from degree to degree) and on the individual subjects you do and how they are timetabled.

Orphen89

HSC
When you say it depends on what "individual subjects you do and how they are timetabled," do you mean that certain subjects have particular times during the week which cannot be changed? And, when you say that the process at some unis can be difficult, what kind of difficulties do you mean? And finally, if you do change your uni timetable to fit into 2 days, would teachers/lecturers take you during this time, or can you only go to lectures when they are available?

Thanks for the help Triangulum.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Lectures generally are only on at one time where there may be multiple tutes, it also depends how quickly they fill up and if you can get into the ones you want. I doubt you can fit into two days. The least I've had is three and the most is four, I know others who are stuck with five.

Some people may get away with it at Mac as we have ilecture (all lectures are recorded and put online) but you have to be very disciplined to do this and its not for me.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Orphen89 said:
When you say it depends on what "individual subjects you do and how they are timetabled," do you mean that certain subjects have particular times during the week which cannot be changed?
Individual units of study would normally have one set of lectures which can't be changed, or possibly two or three sets to choose from in more popular units, as well as multiple tutorials at various times, which you can choose from. If, say, a history subject you're doing only offers tutes on Tuesdays, and an English subject you're also doing has lectures on Mondays and Wednesdays, then you're stuck with that and won't be able to compress your timetable into two days.
Orphen89 said:
And, when you say that the process at some unis can be difficult, what kind of difficulties do you mean?
I was basically referring to Usyd, which has an antiquated online timetable-changing system where you have to convince it to allocate you to the tutes you want. As far as I know all other unis let you choose any tute that has vacancies.
Orphen89 said:
And finally, if you do change your uni timetable to fit into 2 days, would teachers/lecturers take you during this time, or can you only go to lectures when they are available?
You can only go to lectures and tutes as the uni schedules them (see above). If the uni's options don't suit you, there's not that much you can do about it.

Edit: and melsc is right, it's unlikely that you'll end up with two days even in a course with low contact hours.

krayzie_

HSC
I had a 5 hour gap I think it was! Well either 5 or 6 hour gap between two practicals that I couldn't miss. It was definately not good. lol

Orphen89

HSC
Thanks for all the info everyone, I've gotten what I need... hopefully this turns out for the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)