• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible to get a state rank in a subject... (1 Viewer)

MzRobinHood97

HSC
If you got an 18/20 and 2nd place? The task was the 1st and weighed 20%.. I still have 3 other tasks before the HSC exams and am going to make sure I ace them. Is it possible or do state rankers get full marks in every task?

braintic

HSC
N/A
As long as you end up ranking first, you are in full control over whether you get a state rank based on your HSC exam performance, regardless of the marks that saw you come first.

mreditor16

HSC
If you got an 18/20 and 2nd place? The task was the 1st and weighed 20%.. I still have 3 other tasks before the HSC exams and am going to make sure I ace them. Is it possible or do state rankers get full marks in every task?

Yes you still have a chance for a state rank. Even if you don't end up doing too well in internals and don't rank first, you can still state rank by acing externals. For example, I got below average in my first Economics assessment and aced the remaining 3 assessments, to end up being ranked 7th internally, which ended up being 94 internal. My year you needed 97 minimum to state rank. I aced externals, getting 99. And thus got 97 overall and a state rank.

So moral of the story is yes, there is still so much hope. You can do this! Good luck :)

Chatoyance

HSC
What subject is this? :)
Anyways the answer is:
MOST DEFINITELY!
For the first assessment of mathematics (had a weighting about 20% as well!), I was ranked 12th (maybe even further down haha). Anyways the most important thing is to never give up (as cheesy as it sounds). The first assessment is never an indicator of how well you'll perform in the HSC. I knew what I did wrong, and I worked on improving myself. You do not have to get full marks either. I was ranked 6th in half yearly, and the third term assessment was 15th. Full marks were only one or two in the grade. I ended up with first place in Trials and a state rank in mathematics ^^ (though our conditions may slightly vary, as my cohort did well in general). It just really shows that hard work does pay off, and that a state rank is very possible! In addition, it is very important that the person in front of you, in terms of ranking, also performs well in the HSC. That's also an important factor as both of you may end up with a state ranking! Best of luck with your studies.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)