• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible to get good marks in economics tests (1 Viewer)

Rennycoffee

HSC
by just understanding everything and stating facts in a non-essay-like way? Is it necessary to know sophisticated ways of stating facts to achieve high marks?

example:

'The basis of international trade is the uneven distribution of world resources and the use of different resource combinations to achieve efficient productions'

to

The basis of international trade is how the world resources are divided unevenly and to find the best way to allocate them to get the best production possible'

maybe not a good example but you probably get my point.

gnrlies

HSC
Rennycoffee said:
by just understanding everything and stating facts in a non-essay-like way? Is it necessary to know sophisticated ways of stating facts to achieve high marks?

example:

'The basis of international trade is the uneven distribution of world resources and the use of different resource combinations to achieve efficient productions'

to

The basis of international trade is how the world resources are divided unevenly and to find the best way to allocate them to get the best production possible'

maybe not a good example but you probably get my point.
Well I would say the following. How you communicate is extremely important in any field because if you cannot communicate effectively no-one knows what the hell you are on about, and it is harder to demonstrate knowledge and understanding.

If your sentences sound muddled it indicates that your understanding is muddled and you will be marked accordingly.

However, you will not be marked on the quality of your writing in the sense that you need to use big words and be eloquent. Examiners will be looking for a demonstration of your knowledge in economics, and arent expecting a shakespeare soliloquy.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
i dont think it matters, but most importantly YOU should use words or phrases that YOU understand, and to show and develop your own understanding, will 'wow' the markers. Also try and include as much STATISTICAL information in.

monesh

HSC
Arowana21 said:
i dont think it matters, but most importantly YOU should use words or phrases that YOU understand, and to show and develop your own understanding, will 'wow' the markers. Also try and include as much STATISTICAL information in.
ive been told that using alot of statistical information is a waste of time. Basically all markers want to see is that what you are saying is answering the question.

yeeshu

HSC
monesh said:
ive been told that using alot of statistical information is a waste of time. Basically all markers want to see is that what you are saying is answering the question.
2 hsc markers at my school...both said use statistics to back up whatever you say...it shows u've researched and plus economics is all about numbers neways...whats the rate of inflation...whats the rate of growth...how much did exports grow by...its numbers minus the maths

gnrlies

HSC
monesh said:
This is not true.

I mean you do need to answer the question, but to get a band 6 mark you are required to use relevant statistics.

However there is no point giving stats that arent relevant to the question. In economics you want to demonstrate your points (either with a graph, identity / equation, or with statistics).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)