• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it true? (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
Iheard my career advisor said if we have completed Year 12, we can get into the courses such as Diploma which have the entry requirenment of Certificate 2, 3 and 4. Is it true?

I'm looking through the tafe book and found some of the courses require Certificate 2, 3 and 4, can I still apply for it because I've completed Year 12? Thanks in advance :)

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I know here most TAFE courses at all levels only require you to have successfully completed yr12 - whether it be Advanced Diploma, Diploma or Certificate.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Depends

There are 2 ways TAFEs can structure their courses.

One way is to enrol people into a Diploma which incorporates C2/3/4 level modules. So you end up paying for a diploma and doing Cert 2/3 modules for first semester, Cert 3/4 ones for second and 4/Diploma in final sem/year depending how long they string it out.

The second way is to offer Diploma for students who already have a Cert 4 equivalent and that will only last 1-2 semesters as students have already done the modules for prior certificates. This is also how they offer most one semester Cert 4s, they expect you to have the Cert 3 modules in hand.

Depending what subjects you have taken at school you can ask for challenge tests or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for the basic Cert 2 modules like Word processing if you feel you know it well enough and the teacher agrees. This usually involves filling in forms.

The long way of doing a diploma is now cost prohibitive due to the changes in the fee structure, so essentially if you do the long way of a diploma you'll be paying diploma rates for a Cert 2, 3 and 4 modules for the first year or so.

Hope that helps a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)