• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is jazz gay? (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Not that I care, but is this true? I mean I thought jazz/big band singers like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin were really talented, but it's been put to me that this is a little 'sissy'...
Thoughts?

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
i think it depends on the individual whether they like it or hate it or whether they don't care about it

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Those who say its 'sissy' are uncultured swines, nothing beats a good piece of jazz or soul such as Ella Fitzgerald or Sammy Davis Jr... its different and not to everyones taste but its definitely not sissy. It's like people who slag off trance music as thrill popping noise... not for everyone but theres no shame liking it at all.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
do you know how broad jazz is?

Too many different types of jazz

Big Band
Soul
Soul-Jazz
Blues
Swing

Which branched to:

RnB (Rhythm and Blues)
Funk
Hip Hop

and what not?

But in which case, if you're talking THAT kind of jazz, with the big bands, the only common element I see, especially after WW2 where it was popular, was that the majority of jazz contenders were black? Not gay?

Last edited:

Keen

MD
HSC
I like blues and I love Jazz.
Blues because of my love of guitar.

Jazz (at least the type I prefer) more swing as in Frank Sinatra is just so gentlemanly. That and James Bond are just brilliant guys, confidence and style, damn I want to be that good.

Keen

mack

Banned
HSC
Gay? Do you realise how complicated and technical jazz is? Saying a certain style of music is "gay" is hopelessly immature.

artfag

Banned
HSC
listen to peter brotzmann
that music will make any grown man's balls shrivel up

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
jazz is basically the root of all other forms of popular music, so when you say that jazz is 'gay' you're insinuating that every other form of music you listen to is 'gay', because...like father like son right?. kinda contradicting. anyway, what i'm trying to say is that jazz is great

HSC
i think you've all been had, and left lying on a street corner sticky with your own juices.

ps - evey genre, even jazz, has its positivley gay elements. so yes, one could conclude that jazz is gay.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I mean, I don't think jazz is gay. I love it...always have etc. etc. Frankly, I can't see why Franky's style slipped out of mainstream. It's beautiful stuff. But surely some of you have heard comments about the big band/swin jazz being that way inclined somehow...I can't see the logic behind it either...maybe there are some gender issues involved? Perhaps because it does sound 'beautiful' it's critisized.
Maybe there's a male misconseption that all music should cause bodily harm/make ears bleed etc....interesting though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)