• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is the Good Uni Guide that reliable? (1 Viewer)

spazamataz

HSC
Well i'm investigating my options for next year and where to go and all that. My friends keep telling me different things about how good or bad some uni's are so i decided i would sign up so i could read the Good Uni Guide ratings, but i was just wondering is this an accurate guide in others perspective? (Its available at www.gooduniguide.com.au)
Basically i am choosing between commerce/communications at ANU, CSU and UOW, but i don't really want to move to Canberra

Andi0390

HSC
I don't really know much about the Good Uni Guide in particular, but I find the best way to see if a guide or rating system is valid is to check how they evaluate the university. A lot of them do a mix heavily based on review by other university academics, or something like that, also the awards and published pieces by lecturers at the given university. Sometimes it uses successes from previous students, as well as graduate satisfaction, as well as employability.

Although these things are not going to tell you how good your university experience is going to be. You have to look at what kind of career you want, what kind of job you are going to apply for immediately after university and if you plan on doing any graduate study.

I mean as good as a university is, it is also what you make of it.

Out of them all, ANU has the best reputation. While you may not want to move to Canberra (I understand), most of the campuses for CSU aren't in great places either (IMO). I like UOW, and I don't think its got a bad reputation, and it has high graduate satisfaction apparently.

If i were you I would choose UOW. If you are really serious about uni as a study thing and wanting to do be all like that ANU isn't a bad choice.

xsavagex

HSC
CSU is really good for communications. Don't know where you live but Bathurst campus isn't THAT far out of sydney (i went there last year). The accomodation on campus is not the best quality but the on campus lifestyle is AWESOME.

My boyfriend went to UOW and did commerce and he is now doing a grad program at commonwealth bank. He really loved it there and i know a few other people who went there and loved it too.

Don't know much about ANU but it's got a good reputation i think

HSC
In short, GoodUniGuide is shit, still useful though. Having said that, you shouldn't use one source of information to make a decision about a course or degree

spazamataz

HSC
Well after more investigation i've narrowed it down to CSU and UOW - some people from ANU came to school to talk to us, and they turned me right off it.
CSU allows for shorter course time with more practical work
UOW offers more flexibility
I've completely gone off the idea of using the good uni guide.
Now to do my preferences, this is going to be hard :S
Hmm im even going down to the fact that the road to bathurst is horrible, even though it is a bit closer than wollongong. Oh well, time will tell

Scinery

HSC
i am interested to know why ANU got you turned off...isnt it supposed to be the best? id soo go to wollongong if it was closer though and csu communications looks ace.

spazamataz

HSC
i am interested to know why ANU got you turned off...isnt it supposed to be the best? id soo go to wollongong if it was closer though and csu communications looks ace.
They were just kind of weird, and made campus life sound really really seedy. Also, the idea of Canberra kind of turned me off in the first place.
I think i will just go with UOW, on the account that it has a beach, seriously, thats what its come down to! And i can always transfer (right?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)