Is there a way to “read” (for lack of any better term) a chemistry question? Is there a certain pattern to them? (1 Viewer)

HSC
For anyone here who is really good with this…with exam questions, does one get faster at knowing what formula to use when you do more practice papers? Or is it more a matter of logically understanding how the formulas work on a more literal level. I hope this makes sense!

I find in chemistry memorization in and of itself is great, of course, but I have the most terrible memory. But what I find helps, at least in other subjects, is extending beyond just remembering a forumula…i suppose, knowing exactly how it works, when to use it, and what the questions that accompany it look like. Almost in the same way we intuitively understand, lets say grammar.

Maybe its because I don't do mathematics anymore but I for the life of me can't remember the processes involved in multiple step equations. I understand them when I read them, but in test conditions it all becomes a bit of a mess and I genuinely don't trust myself or my own answers. Or I miss something that's really obvious.

That, or being able to read a question and immediately know what formula to use. Because the way my brain works is silly…i understand chemistry and I'm confident when I read it and when I'm learning, it just seems to never stick.

Ok so TLDR: I want to be able to more quickly and efficiently apply formulas within hsc questions. Knowing faster how to approach a question that I have never seen before. Instead of feeling like I'm grasping at twigs, it feels like I'm just slapping a formula down rather than understanding things!

I hope this makes sense! Ahh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)