• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is there any possible way to transfer to Medicine or Pharmacy from another SC (1 Viewer)

Twickel

HSC
SC= Science course.

After finishing one full time year of a science course( im interest in that first year being pharmacology) is it possible upon getting good marks to transfer to Pharmacy or Medicine.
I know my cousin did one year of medical science and then transfered to phamracy, but he got a UAI of 90, I dont think I can get that.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What do you mean by "one full time year of a science course"?
Do you mean finishing the first year of a general Science degree (BSc), then transfer into Medicine or Pharmacy?

If that is what you are asking, then yes you can. It doesn't matter what degree you are enrolled in, as long as you apply through UAC. You need a miminum 95 UAI for transfer into Medicine successful.

Twickel

HSC
I mean, I get a UAI of 76, I get into the BSCI I major in pharmacology and immunology or something like that, after completing one year in that course, I can re transfer to Pharmacy? and after that its true that your UAI is not relevant?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yes, after one year, you can transfer out to any program you like, provided your academic achievement is sufficent to gain admission.

After 1 year of uni, your UAI is still relevant. They count 50% UAI and 50% uni marks. Using Medicine for example, that's why they said for you to be competitive enough for a limited number of places, your UAI must be over 95 for your average UAI-Uni mark to be competitive enough to get you an interview.

If you got 76, even if you score 100 in everything at Uni, your average may still not be considered competitive enough for a place in med.

Twickel

HSC
Thankyou I understand now, so its easier to get into pharmacy aswell, hey you did Medical Science, what was your UAI? one more thing the UAC 2008 book has every unis REQ for entry into medical science 75+, how come the Uninversity of Western Sydney only needed a UAI of 62.00?

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
Twickel said:
Thankyou I understand now, so its easier to get into pharmacy aswell, hey you did Medical Science, what was your UAI? one more thing the UAC 2008 book has every unis REQ for entry into medical science 75+, how come the Uninversity of Western Sydney only needed a UAI of 62.00?
cause it's the University of Western Sydney.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Twickel said:
My UAI was 95.70.

The cut-off for each University is different. The cut-off is actually the UAI of the last person who was accepted into the program. For example, If there are 100 places available at UNSW Medical Science and there are 200 applicants, then the uni would accept the top 100 with the highest UAIs. The 100th highest UAI becomes the cut-off. This is how cut-offs are made in every course.

The 62 UAI cut-off at UWS means the last person who enter that course has a UAI of 62. The UAI cut-off is not a measure of the quality of the program, but simply the demand for admission.

Twickel

HSC
Ok, thankyou for all your help, if I have any more questions ill post them here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)