is there such thing? International sanctions? (1 Viewer)

yinyin

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, ive got this problem that puzzles me.
The question i requre to answer is this:
How effective are international sanctions in delaing with breaches of international law?

Like from my knowledge, there is not such thing as a international sanction right?
Like it is not written down as, if u commit this particuliar crime you have to be fine with this much or in jail in how 10 years?
International is pretty much no a law right? Because they dont become a law until a country pass it as a domestic law, then it have its sanctions...
I dont know....
ya.. please help me out~
Thanks~

litany

Helpfool
HSC
Um, in reading your initial post/title, I was under the impression that you were referring to International Sanctions in the form of say, the U.N. trade embargoing a country for breaking what they condone as "International Law".

However, after reading your full post, I'm under the impression that your asking the question of whether there is an internationally recognised punishment for a person/s who breaks the law?

If that's the case, then no - I don't think there are "International Sanctions" as such, as all countries and places have different perceptions on what they consider morally right or wrong and thus different punishments which apply accordingly. For instance, drug-dealing in Australia results in a sentence which is around a few years, whereas it can be 20 years in Indonesia.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
but I think that people can be tried for "crimes against humanity" under international law in Geneva. Slobodan was being tried for this over the last few years, but unfortunately he died. I really don't know much about this, though it's an area I'm very interested in educating myself about.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
fleepbasding said:
but I think that people can be tried for "crimes against humanity" under international law in Geneva. Slobodan was being tried for this over the last few years, but unfortunately he died. I really don't know much about this, though it's an area I'm very interested in educating myself about.
[Random fact] In the former-yugoslavian languages "slobodan" means "free" [/Random fact]

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
GaDaMIt said:
[Random fact] In the former-yugoslavian languages "slobodan" means "free" [/Random fact]
So lovely of you to share that with us :)

And yeah, sorry yinyin, haven't a clue what you're talking about, is this by any chance Economics?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I think it is legal studies, judging on the fact that she wants to know if international sanctions are law.

What she seems to be asking is if there are international rules that determine what kind of punishments that people would face for breaking a law, and my answer is there are no such laws that exist, each country determines the punishment for a person breaking a law in their own country for their particular crime.

trev_2541

HSC
Hey,

Under International Law it can be mandated that a nation have a trade embargo place on a country and enforced by a coalition of nations (for example Australia and the United States led a coalition of nations in blocking trade to the now former Huissen Iraq) but this is very rarely used as it is the people who suffer the most, not nessesarily the leaders of that nation.

Your second question puzzled me but what I can say is that International Law is a grey area that is a new and relatively new and highly experimental area at law. Nations that have ratified treaties regarding the international criminal court and the international court of justice can face the ICC or ICJ and certain individuals such as Slobodan Milosevic and Dasko Tadic who seem to really piss the international courts off can be arrested by a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) task force or be arrested by a state, tired in an international court in the Hauge or elsewhere and suffer up to life imprisonment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)