• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is this a better alternative? (1 Viewer)

groovydude

HSC
hey guys,

currently doing the vce, and was wondering if it was better to skip the umat this year, so that i can concentrate on my year 12 score and do the umat next year.

Iv read around don these forums that it is better as uni's like undergraduate with no previous record..but i may be wrong.

I really want to get into med, so just asking is it better to concentrate on my year 12 and do the umat the following year?

cheers

HSC
is umat so hard that you *need* a whole year to prepare for it after you finish your vce (i don't know, i've never done it)? if you're that set on doing medicine, why don't you do both this year and then if you don't make it do it all again? that would prepare you better if you don't make it.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
UMAT is a test that your 'not meant' to study for and most people do better second time round, also it would be very rewarding to do the test the first time as a trial run and to get a feeling for the test nonetheless. You would be an idiot to deliberately miss this opportunity especially if your trying to get into undergrad medicine either next year or the following.

Also most uni's prefer to take in candidates that have previous tertiary experience, etc as they often have more life experience and the maturity to succeed in medicine. Also your in Victoria, Monash does not take non-standards so you should not waste this years umat opportunity.

If you were really dead set on doing med soon you would definately have a crack at umat this year.

Last edited:

bubbly89

HSC
No... that would be a very stupid thing to do, waste a whole year just because you're worried about it.

Seriously UMAT doesn't need that much preparation, a few practice IQ like questions, a few comprehension problems and you're set. Not hard at all, if you manage your time well you'll have more then enough time to do all you need to get a good mark.

I'm not quite sure about the VCE system... but the UMAT didn't fall among any major exams for me... I believe I cheerfully took the day off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)