• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is this fair?? (1 Viewer)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Last week we started a SAC in Psychology - a poster. There are three this semester, so this will count a little over 5% of the overall result and its obviously important for rankings. Anyway, we had one lesson last week, one 50 minute on Monday and it was meant to be a 30 minute today. Over the weekend I typed out my stuff so i could see how long it would take me at school, i planned out everything i would do in each lesson and for how long... i put alot into it, so it would be ready by the end of the 30minute lesson today. We were late starting the 30 minutes by about 5 mins, as the teacher in charge was late in opening the room. Either way, i noted the time we started and we should have finished at 12.10. Come 12 o'clock only another girl and I had completed it, while others had just finished typing.
So what does my teacher do?
She gives us an extra half hour! While me and this other girl were rushing to get it done, and she TOLD us that was all the time we would get.. but no, she threw in another half hour. So I ended up wasting the half hour by coloring (presentation isnt even in the critera!), while other people who didnt put half as much effort in got to complete it at their leisure. Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of rankings?
I live in Victoria btw, and SACs (school assesed coursework) count 17% each semester, while the exams are 33%.

Thoughts, anyone?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Complain higher up. I don't know in vic but when my Engineering Studies teacher wanted to extend the time on an assesment (it was a hand in one) he said he needed the approval of everyone in the class (I had already done it, but I said yes anyway as I knew they would leave it to the last weekend still).

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Well I told my mum, who rang the princepal, who was shocked and said my teacher was 'naive'. Anyway then my teacher rang mum and said that I requested extra time which is complete crap - all I asked for was the full 30 minutes. So tomorrow morning I have to see her along with a teacher I like to 'sort it out'. If that doesnt do any good I'll go to the principle myself. I mean, its bad enough I have to teach myself, she could at least get the SAC stuff right.

Wohzazz

HSC
Time given should be definite in HSC assessments since they are so important. I remember in year 11, one of our English test essay was weighed more than other sections even though initially all sections were to be done 40 minutes each. Nobody complained. But if a situation like this happens in the HSC I will erupt and complain like hell. Obviously you should get a better mark because you finished on time and your teacher (who has problems judging the seriousness of the assessment) is a complete idiot who needs lecturing

Last edited:

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Approaching the principle might be the only way to go in this situation. Unless you want to appeal higher, but I'm not sure how you can do that.

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Well I talked to her about it, and she's assured me that timing will be taken into consideration when they're being marked. Soo.. i'll just have to see what results come back.

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
Guys what do you think of this: Fair or unfair?
We did a speech/presentation for our ancient history assesment recently and a girl in my class went in to present it and started crying and said she stayed up really late the previous night (doing the speech) and she was under alot of stress. So they let her do it the day after everyone else had done theirs, giving her an extra night?
I have nothing against the girl, I felt very sorry for her, but I don't think it was fair for the teachers to give her extra time to practice it. Perhaps if they let her do it later that day or something...
What do you guys think?

santaslayer

HSC
if everyone was suppose to do the presentation that day then yes, it was unfair.....

santaslayer

HSC
but do u think she was doing it on purpose?.....if it was legitimate, then U could be accused of being a bit too insensitive if u complain to the teachers. (as for me, i wouldnt care less, i would play the game fairly)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
It is.. appeal.. ppl may think your a bitch.. but thats so not fair... thats half an hour! thats alot.. its like with my drama IP, written were meant to be in for assesment WK 5, so one girl got until WK 6! and performances didnt happen till week 8 and 9! so i got fukd

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
Yes I'm not going to complain to the teachers, becasue it would seem insensitive, and I'm pretty sure that it was legit. I just thought rather than allowing her an extra day, the teachers could have said "go get a drink, calm down, come back in an hour and you can do it then"
However I do not have all the facts so it may be more complicated.

Is it possible to file for misadventure for something like that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)