is this true? (1 Viewer)

bobbie212

for the pracs we did involving rate of corrosion, do we have to say we weighed the metals each day to check for mass loss, or are u guys just saying you did that at the end.

smallcattle

HSC
weigh?? our teacher never told us to weigh it.. just observe and see if there is rust forming on the surface through out the experiment

lucyinthehole

yeah, ours was very qualitative... you know "this is more rusty" kinda thing. but i guess putting that you dried it, then weighed it can't hurt

mathock

HSC
yeah just say u weighed it, if its needed then you've said it, if it isnt, it doesnt affect the reaction so u cant lose marks for being cautious

bobbie212

yea but im not aksin if it should be weighed, im asking how ofen, each day or only once at theend of the prac

lucyinthehole

probably the end is best, since taking out would desrupt the experiment by bringing in other variables

bobbie212

obvioulsy, but its all about the rate of corrosion. if u weigh them each day and graph the results the rate can be found that way but im unsure

lucyinthehole

bobbie212 said:
obvioulsy, but its all about the rate of corrosion. if u weigh them each day and graph the results the rate can be found that way but im unsure
no, the focus is comparing the rate of corrosion, so by seeing the difference in weight between the different nails, for the same amount of time, you can tell which one rusts faster

mathock

HSC
i would weigh them daily... if the graph of the rate of corrosion isnt linear, then by just weighing at the end u could get some screwed up results... as long as the system is intact and not disturbed u dont have much to worry bout

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
weighin them without cleanin wont get u anywhere. if u weigh them at d end after cleanin them u can compare the extent of corrosion. if u clean them everyday u destroy the system.

i didn't do this prac but read bout it. i would've thought that weighin without cleanin wouldn't show major differences in weight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)