is trimester bad? (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on the degree. For something like science it was honestly a living hell. That's because already in the semester system it felt like there was so much content to learn and so many assignments because in that type of degree there is a lot of small type of assignments each week such as 2-3 hand in assignments, lab report each week, mid term and a final exam. Now you multiply that by 3 subjects and it's like something is due every 3 days, which you have to balance with attending the lectures, lab and tutorial for each subject. However, during the semesters there was a mid sem break and extra 3 weeks so you had more time to work on things and so it was easier to balance work / uni / social life.

For other types of degrees like engineering and business, my friends didn't find there was that much different between the workload spread and so for those types of degrees you probably won't realise. Probably because in those types of degrees you have more major types of assignments every few weeks vs something every few days.

The main pro of the trimester is that you can do 9 subjects a year vs 8 and so technically you can finish your degree faster. Other than that I don't really see how there is a benefit from it other than the uni making more money because you have more weeks in the year at uni, less breaks compared to your friends at other unis and no midsem break like there was before.

Maybe now though it's not as bad because I was during the first years of it being introduced and so it probably was not as streamlined as it might be now after a few years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)