• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is Uni. Any Much Different To High School? (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Is uni. any much different to high school in terms of..
-Social Life
-Study patterns and difficulty
-Food
-Teachers vs Lecturers

and other stuff...

I'm just curious to know what i can look forward to (if there is much)

Raginsheep

HSC
Generally you'll have more of a social life but its really up to how you want to live it.

Is it harder than high school? Perhaps, perhaps not, its up to you and what subjects you do. The lecturers are not going to hold your hand though so everything is basically up to you to ask questions, keep on top of your work and do things on time.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
Anyone have any experience on the workload of Combined Law students?
depends what marks you want.

passes = minimal work
80+ = heaps of work.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No. University is identical to high school. Honestly, of course it's different!

social life: you'll probably make new friends, get involved with different things and go to bigger parties yada yada yada.

study patterns & difficulty: It's less guided than year 12, and they cram the amount of work done in a year into a semester. The way you study probably won't be affected though.

food: depends how much money you're willing to spend really. I bring my own lunch most days, and have no wish to blow something like $30 on food from overpriced yuppy sandwich shops. As long as you go to UNSW, USyd or UTS, there's always plenty of food places around within a 10 minute walk.

teachers v lecturers: lecturers are researchers, or highly experienced within their field, and usually have postgrad qualifications. They know what they're talking about to an insane degree...usually.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
It's depends on the course. But from my perspective:

Social Life - Everyone's friendly and after awhile you become familiar with most people in the course. But that's because in pharmacy, we have just about all our lectures/tutes/workshops together.

Study patterns and difficulty - Depends on what you're aiming for. If you work hard enough, distinctions shouldn't be a problem. If you just want passes, you can bludge all you want.

Food - Better.

Teachers vs Lecturers - Lecturers just lecture. Other than not being interrupted they don't really give a shit about you being present or listening or taking notes etc etc.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I agree with everything said so far. However, if you're in a "small" course like phamarcy, vet science, or some really specific combination of two "general" degrees, e.g. Exercise and Sports Science/Nutrition, then, it can be quite dull seeing the same people everyday. What makes it worse is that these groups were already pre-conceived before the first day of the year! (people from same high school, people with same ethnic background, church friends, etc) So it was left to outsiders like me to get in. So what you do instead is GET INVOLVED! , e.g. clubs and socs, volunteering, etc. I've met so many new people this way, and it's infinitely more interesting.

If, on the other hand, you'd rather a small group to get to know better, instead of having to catch up with 10 different groups of friends at the end of each semester, then obviously a more specific degree would do the trick. But in the end, it's really up to you. That's what uni's all about--it's all up to you.

nwatts

HSC
nick's tip of the week: organise your workload properly.

you don't have to be the brightest person, but if you're properly organised and get work done in advance, you'll find yourself scoring very well. train yourself to do work before you need to, and you'll enjoy the whole uni experience that much more.

nwatts

HSC
haha yeah i can't say i recommend that. consistency seems to be the key - work steadily and discipline yourself to keep on track all throughout the semester. if you do subjects with exams you'll hopefully find you don't need to study your arse out come exam time, because you've been keeping up all the way through.

my subjects are assessment based. to make sure i don't leave a 2000-word prose piece or a 12 poem collection to that night i need to be diciplined, because rushing stuff like this is an instant path to ruination!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)