• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

IT in UTS and USYD (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hey i was wondering if people can help me out with a question. Whats the difference between IT in USYD and Science in IT in UTS (not the co-op)? Im most likey going for UTS but if i manage to get hgih enough im considering IT at USYD

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
If you want IT and you don't want UNSW (I don't know why), then I think UTS is your best option. This is based purley off my opion after ~a year of researching degrees in 2002.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
McLake said:
If you want IT and you don't want UNSW (I don't know why), then I think UTS is your best option. This is based purley off my opion after ~a year of researching degrees in 2002.
Why would you say i dont know why i wouldnt want UNSW?

sunny

meh.
HSC
McLake meant he wouldn't know why you wouldn't want UNSW, since it wasn't in your list of options.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I began a B. Information Technology last year at Sydney, before transferring to arts/law at UNSW. I was impressed with what I saw, but basically, here are my thoughts -

If you want to become a computer programmer, goto UNSW and do computer science. It has a supremely strong reputation for that, believe me.

If you want to be an IT manager, goto USYD. The B. IT is an elite degree designed for senior positions in the IT industry. Basically if you want the best footing to a senior IT position, with a very diverse skill base (proramming, graphics, systems implementation, networking, everything - you name it), then the B. IT is the way to go. They only take a very small number (about 40), and the cut-off is quite high (about 97), however if your cut-off is slightly below this, and you have a lot of experience with programming, you can submit a portfolio. I did this and I was accepted. But if you just want to purely be a programmer or software designer, probably best to goto USNW or UTS.

The UTS course has the benefits of being probably the most practical course for IT; you'll be doing things more industry related. Additionally they recently had a new IT center implemented, someone confirm this? Aside from these, the money is of course useful too.

Just my opinion; hope it helps.

Last edited:
T

timbk2

yes. Building 10 (IT building) about 2 years old.. but its still the best IT facility in all uni's or education facilities... all 7 floors of it is beautiful.

btw. go UTS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)