It is true...? (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Hey again,

Sorry if l'm being a pain but just one more question - l promise :)

I have a friend at school who is leaving my school and going to another one , because of his grades - which he blames the teacher.

I argue with him and say that it just isn't up to the teacher to teach for you to get a high mark - about 50% is up to you - studying, researching, summarising and reviewing, the tecaher is there to only teach, not to make sure we pass.

I was wondering if this is the same with Uni?

I have heard that the lecturers only tell you about 50% of the information, while the other 50% or so you have to find out yourself....therefore you cannot blame the teacher/lecturer for your marks...l didn't point this out to him because l wasn't sure...am l right?

Many Thanks

sunny

meh.
HSC
It does actually depend on the lecturer somewhat, and the subject content.

Some subjects you can breeze through without going to one lecture. Some you really really need the lectures. In uni, alot of it is up to you to do yourself.

If he blames the teacher without trying himself first, theres not much to be said.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Thank you for that!!

He did try, but he's an internet junkie, he's online every spare time (with broadband, which doesn't help).

I study at school, during frees, lunch and whatever..l never see him studying as well.

He doesn't ask the teacher for help or tell the teacher he is having trouble. He hasn't bought any excel/other textbooks to help him, and he doens't have a tutor. I only noticed that he started studying towards the end of last year (accelerated course) and actually putting effort in.

EDIT: I thought you had to attend every lecture..even though you don't have to, l still probably will.

sunny

meh.
HSC
In that case, and taking your word for it...then I think its wrong for him to blame the teacher when he hasn't tried himself.

But it might be because of the bad teaching that led him to this - I had 4 different chemistry teachers in year 12 after my original teacher left, it was interesting to see how the class' marks began to slide - some people just gave up, some did it on their own.

Try prompting him to do some of the work, and helping him even if he doesn't ask for it.

Edit: lectures are purely optional in uni, most lecturers won't even care if you walk in/out of it halfway. I went to most of my lectures, unless I had a good enough reason not to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)