james ruse 2019 maths q

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
hey how do i do this question? i looked at the solutions but i still don't understand it. would be great if i got some help :angel:

Attachments

cossine

HSC
hey how do i do this question? i looked at the solutions but i still don't understand it. would be great if i got some help :angel:
So the first step would be figuring out what you don't understand regarding the solution.

Also you have not defined "a". What is "a"?

cossine

HSC
a is the area
The question is quite confusing still.

r: smaller radius
a: full area (not halved)

a/2 = 1/2*r^2*pi/6

=> a = r^2*pi/6
=> sqrt(a) = r*sqrt(pi/6)

There seems to be a mistake in the question.

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
The question is quite confusing still.

r: smaller radius
a: full area (not halved)

a/2 = 1/2*r^2*pi/6

=> a = r^2*pi/6
=> sqrt(a) = r*sqrt(pi/6)

There seems to be a mistake in the question.
ill post the solution, but the thing is i still didnt understand the question even after seeing the solution

Attachments

Lith_30

o_o
HSC
Uni Grad
I think a is meant to be the length of PQ (from the answers) if we take the area of the triangle PQT, we get , and since that is meant to be half of the area of the sector, we get the relation .

cossine

HSC
ill post the solution, but the thing is i still didnt understand the question even after seeing the solution
So you should first figure out what it is you don't understand. Is there particular line. Is there theorem that you have forgotten or not aware about. What about an axiom or definition.

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
So you should first figure out what it is you don't understand. Is there particular line. Is there theorem that you have forgotten or not aware about. What about an axiom or definition.
firstly, idk why they are dividing the area of a triangle with the area of a sector, it said to show that both of them are halved, so i’m assuming they are meant to be equal in area size?

cossine

HSC
firstly, idk why they are dividing the area of a triangle with the area of a sector, it said to show that both of them are halved, so i’m assuming they are meant to be equal in area size?
So what you are describing is another way to approach the question.

The key idea is establish an relation between "a" and "r" which they just happened to be able to do by dividing area_triangle/area_sector.

To put it simply it is just one step of the calculation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)