• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

james ruse (1 Viewer)

Lizcat

HSC
just wondering.. what would be the lowest UAI a james ruse person would have?

coz at my school the highest was like 99.5 and only 40 people got 90+

P

pLuvia

They don't reveal the lowest UAI for any school in statistics, only the median or mean, or highest

Bookie

Banned
HSC
someone probably gpot around 30 or 40, yet he/she would be too ashamed to reveal it and as a result no one knows what they got, and as a result, you're question cannot be answered.

babe69

HSC
all i know is... they are bloody smart.... i did a course with a couple of them and they were both caning the whole thing

Xenocide

HSC
Ruse people are smart? Who would have thought that only accepting the top 1% of kids would result in a generally very high average UAI!

All sarcasm aside, Ruse students avergage about 99.3 as a UAI which is about what u would expect. If it had been any lower than 99 then the school would have actually been hindering their students, as it is they help students slight improve their expected UAI's (99).

P

pLuvia

Yeh 99.3 is way too high for an average even for the best school, there are those who are "not so smart"

sladehk

le random
HSC
pLuvia said:
Yeh 99.3 is way too high for an average even for the best school, there are those who are "not so smart"
it's not the average. The average is probably much lower... 99.2 is probably the median... after a bit after the median there probably is a steep downhill drop

xeia

HSC
In 2004 the median was 99.55. I'm not sure what it was for 2005, lower than that though

A l

HSC
N/A
Last year's median UAI for James Ruse Agricultural High School was 99.25. This was a drop from 2003 (~99.3-99.4) and 2004 (99.5).

lala2

Banned
HSC
I would think all JR kids got UAIs of 90+, with the overwhelming majority at 99+, and the rest around the 95-98th percentiles.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Xenocide said:
Ruse people are smart? Who would have thought that only accepting the top 1% of kids would result in a generally very high average UAI!

All sarcasm aside, Ruse students avergage about 99.3 as a UAI which is about what u would expect. If it had been any lower than 99 then the school would have actually been hindering their students, as it is they help students slight improve their expected UAI's (99).
UAI does not reflect on intelligence alone and hence you cannot say that everyone who got 99+ is the top 1%. Also the selective schools exam varies in nature from the HSC and a comparison cannot be made. A lot changes in 6 years, mostly independent of the school.

While the median of UAI might be over 99, there is no evidence to suggest that the lowest UAI could not be 90 or even 80. And considering that the school does not get definitive UAI of students from UAC, and only from the students themselves, it clearly shows that the true median would be lower, since the students with the lowest UAIs would not both reporting them to the school, or that the school ignores them.

In fact, it's easy to say, unless you got a 99.5+ UAI, don't report back to the school. Then from the facts that the school has, it can say that all the known UAIs are above 99.5.

Just because it's James Ruse doesn't mean it doesn't have strugglers.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Sure, there could be a few under 30s for all I care. UAI doesn't mean shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)