• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Janet Evanovich? (1 Viewer)

Nightminds00

HSC
Janet Evanovich? The Lovely Bones

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has used any of the Janet Evanovich books for the hsc yet.
Are they too light hearted to use? in some ways there would be things to discuss about how it diverges from the conventions, but then again it may not be intellectual enough or be based upon the conventions?

My other question is about Alice Sebolds Ther Lovely Bones. It also takes quite a unique look at murder, but is it enough to constitute crime fiction???
Does anyone know of any resources on either of these (i have already checked the resources page :))

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!
thankyou.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
As far as Evanovich goes, my teacher commented that they were perfectly usable but as they went on they lost "the vibe" so to speak and that the first two or three were the most suitable for this module, I would also add to this that there is an additional book she released which was for Christmas-which was absolute rubbish compared to what she wrote earlier in the series.
Other than that, I can' really help you. Sorry.

Abbeygale

HSC
I wouldn't really call The Lovely Bones crime fiction. Perhaps check it against the definitions and conventions of the genre? It does involve a crime, but the book doesn't centre around solving it. I think, considering the overabundance of crime fiction out there, you would learn more from studying a text that you don't have to justify as crime fiction.

bEAbEA

HSC
Janet Evanovich - I used her novel "Metro Girl" in my half yearly essay and got a pretty good mark. I talked about Alex Barnaby's methods of detection in comparrison to other more well known detectives like Piorot and Lynley. I'm not sure if i would make reference to it in my HSC exam, because, yeah, it isn't quite right. (if you know what I mean) I also talked about how it played with the conventions slightly, to produce a more satisfying text in a new context.

The lovely bones - I've just finished reading this one too. I can see how it could relate to crime fiction, however, i definatley wouldn't use it in my trial or HSC. There isn't enough on the detection methods and investigations to really be classed one, it more deals with the reactions and aftermath of a crime. If you are doing imaginative journeys, t would probably be a better one for that.

Hope that helped.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
My teacher is thoroughly thrilled that a girl in my class has chosen a Janet Evanovich. It is perfectly usable.. probably a breath of fresh air for the markers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)