Jasper Fforde (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I just finished reading The Eyre Affair, by Fforde.. it's a new favourite :)

I know it's late for y'all to start reading considering the untimely approach of the HSC, but if you're doing Pomo or Crime Fiction (not so sure about Individual and Society) I'd advise getting your hands on this book (there's one more by Fforde in the series so far). If you don't have related texts yet or you're hopelessly confused for creative ideas, this novel may or may not help, but you'll have a good laugh anyway :p and god knows you need it.

It's got a tad of cliche, but it's one of the most well-written postmodern novels I've ever read. Hope the blurb convinces you:

"There is another 1985, somewhere in the could-have-been, where Thursday Next is a literary detective without equal, fear, or boyfriend. Thursday is on the trail of the villainous Acheron Hades who has been kidnapping characters from works of fiction and holding them to ransom. Jane Eyre herself has been plucked from the novel of the same name, and Thursday must find a way into the book to repair the damage.

"She also has to find time to halt the Crimean conflict, persuade the man she loves to marry her, rescue her aunt from inside a Wordsworth poem and figure out who really wrote Shakespeare's plays. Aided and abetted by a cast of characters that includes her time-travelling father, Jack Schitt of the all-powerful Goliath Corporation, a pet dodo named Pickwick and Edward Rochester himself, Thursday embarks on an adventure that will take your breath away."

walrusbear

HSC
hey, i just read that book too.
hilariously funny read. i don't know that i'll end up using it for my crime fiction sup. texts, but took my mind off the work :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)