• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Jazz/Blues Songs (1 Viewer)

Ashhh

HSC
Hi I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of some good jazz or blues songs to perform. I've been trying to find one to perform but I just can't find anything that great.

I play Guitar, Bass and Piano so any suggestions will be appreciated. However I would rather Guitar and Bass suggestions.
:wave:
Thanks.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
"Autumn Leaves" is a good one to do. It's got a straight-forward set of A-B changes that runs through the circle of fifths (or fourths depending on which way you look at it).

In what context are you looking to perform these songs?

pitbulloncrack

HSC
Find something from the innumerably vast Blues back catalogue - all the African American bluesmen from the early 50s and 60s... some great combinations of things for Guitar if you want to take the liberty of rearranging them.

Get into Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters. Songs like Insane Assylum (a minor blues feel) and BB King's 'The Thrill is Gone' is a good one too for Guitar and bass.

Also, try Howlin' Wolf and his "Red Rooster" version.

Dig deep.

champo14

HSC
For Bass, can't go wrong with "So What" by Miles Davis. You can learn how to solo modally (only two chords in the tune)

If you're looking for a blues "Freddie Freeloader" is a good one. Not as lame as some other blues changes, or you can check out something like "Watermelon Man" or "Cantelope Island" by H. Hancock.

If you're into that funk Bass stuff, check out some Christian McBride (Live at the Tonic is a great album). Or for the more adventurous why not do a Jaco Pastorius inspired "Donna Lee" or "Confirmation".

If you want to play some Latin jazz on guitar, look up "No More Blues".

But of your looking for just a straight blues, why not just make one up? Or if you want to play just a normal blues head, try ones like "Sonny Moon for Two","Bags Groove","Blues for Two" or "Straight No Chaser"

Sorry for the over enthusiastic reply, but I get excited whenever someone asks me about jazz.

Isolated

HSC
somthing like bb king, wes motgomery, robert johnson would do.

will u by playing solo or with a band?

HSC
Dude, I LOVE the bass line to 'A Night In Tunisa'!
I played it for one of my HSC music performance's and it sounded sweeeeet.
We also transcribed the trumpet solo for me to play on the bass, so it gave me something to show off. haha.
I know the hsc is over, but still learn the song for enjoyment. It's great.

Jake22

HSC
lol just realised i replied to a year old topic :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)