Jet Li/Hero (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Anyone seen the trailor for this upcoming martial arts flick? (Ignore the Quentin Tarantino thing, he did NOT make the film.. just 'presenting' it or something, it was actually released in Asia years ago I think).
Most of the time, the Chinese martial arts movies seems to be about low-budget, cheesy plotline action flicks (minus Crouching Tiger), but this seems to bridge the gap between the quintessential Chinese martial arts flick and Hollywood special effects. I noticed a few bullet-time shots, along with some stylish cinematography and of course, the large scale battle scenes. Reminded me of John Gaeta's work for The Matrix.

Here's the trailor (better hope you're not on dialup):
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/hero/large.html

Tusitula

cute (ugly but adorable)
HSC
its been released in asia for so long, so like any asian i have it on dvd.

I couldnt believe my eyes when i saw the previews for western release at van helsing.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
tonberry_kun said:
its pretty crap
just 3 versions of the same story
Interesting comment from a Naruto fan. I must say I don't like it either, it's really a poor man's Rashomon.

Moreover, it's that a director like Zhang Yimou could create not 1 but TWO useless characters. That in itself however, I could even overlook if it weren't for the fact that all the characters were so utterly inaccessible. If you're at all familiar with Chinese cinema, you'll immediately recognise that the cast is absolutely top notch. Don't go in with any great expectations on the basis of this though, because you'd just be setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Rather than presenting the characters as real human beings whose lives were tied to the fate of the Emperor, each and every character exists instead as mouthpieces for a 2 hour stream of half baked philosophical musings that were no more profound than a 10th grade student could produce. Consequently, two of my favourite actors in Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung (a great pairing in so many great films) have nothing to work with, becoming no more than walking clichés of the martial arts genre.
On the positive side, the movie is quite stunning visually, so as with most big epics like LotR or Spiderman, the best place to see it is at the cinemas

MoNNiE

HSC
yer its been out in asia for quite abit..
so so i gues :/

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
this thread is been done.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
jim_green said:
Interesting comment from a Naruto fan. I must say I don't like it either, it's really a poor man's Rashomon.
yeh naruto's getting crappier and more DBZ style lately -_-
disappointing really... it was good when it started

santaslayer

HSC
JKDDragon said:
Anyone seen the trailor for this upcoming martial arts flick? (Ignore the Quentin Tarantino thing, he did NOT make the film.. just 'presenting' it or something, it was actually released in Asia years ago I think).
Most of the time, the Chinese martial arts movies seems to be about low-budget, cheesy plotline action flicks (minus Crouching Tiger), but this seems to bridge the gap between the quintessential Chinese martial arts flick and Hollywood special effects. I noticed a few bullet-time shots, along with some stylish cinematography and of course, the large scale battle scenes. Reminded me of John Gaeta's work for The Matrix.

Here's the trailor (better hope you're not on dialup):
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/hero/large.html
I actually prefer the low budget Chinese Martial Arts movies rather than the high budget ones from America because most of the time, the martial arts is done on computer. :(

sanguinivore

JKDDragon said:
Most of the time, the Chinese martial arts movies seems to be about low-budget, cheesy plotline action flicks (minus Crouching Tiger)
ALL chinese movies are low budget. some may be cheesy plotline. crouching tiger hidden dragon was both. it sucked *so* much... come to think of it.. it didnt even have a cheesy plotline... it had NO PLOTLINE

Collin

HSC
N/A
sanguinivore said:
ALL chinese movies are low budget. some may be cheesy plotline. crouching tiger hidden dragon was both. it sucked *so* much... come to think of it.. it didnt even have a cheesy plotline... it had NO PLOTLINE

zhongie

HSC
Don't watch Hero for its plotline, watch for its cinematography only, and appreciate it as art. Hero was an attempt to bridge the cheesy martial arts film, and turn it into arthouse. On some level, it worked, because there are truly beautiful scenes in it. However, it overextended by trying to imitate Kurosawa, which no one can do very successfully. So if you don't like slow moving films without any real plot satisfaction, avoid Hero. We all know how QT is a pretentious git, who likes to promote arty things. That beings said, I love QT. Go Reservoir Dogs!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
zhongie said:
Don't watch Hero for its plotline, watch for its cinematography only, and appreciate it as art. Hero was an attempt to bridge the cheesy martial arts film, and turn it into arthouse. On some level, it worked, because there are truly beautiful scenes in it. However, it overextended by trying to imitate Kurosawa, which no one can do very successfully. So if you don't like slow moving films without any real plot satisfaction, avoid Hero. We all know how QT is a pretentious git, who likes to promote arty things. That beings said, I love QT. Go Reservoir Dogs!
Well said..sounds good anyway, I'm not sure if it was really trying to bridge any gap however.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Chinese movies will always be a let-down while screenings of movies can only pull 8 or so people into the cinemas

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
I had a copy of this movie in its 'earlier' version, wasn't subtitled though. But it looks pretty good.

About this naruto thing, from episode one you could tell naruto would have turned out to be your next DBZ, except, upgraded.

lengstar

HSC
i liked it and its message at the end. i found it very influential, much like matrix did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)