Job Opportunies From Comp. Sci.. (1 Viewer)

elmir

HSC
Hey guys, I am new here, and I am currently in year 12. Im very interested in doing computer science. In fact I want to do Computer Science/Digital Media, but I'm not really sure what kind of jobs I could actually get after completing computer science/digital media..

I was just wondering if you guys would be able to give me a brief idea as to what kind of jobs I can get after completing Computer Science/Digital Media. I would like to know what of jobs get offered for either computer science and digital media. (Btw Computer Science/Digital Media is a double degree or a combined degree or something like that)

I would also like to know how good the facilities at UNSW are for computers...Thanks

rand0m3r

HSC
hey, comp sci/digital media is one of those new combos eh? nice.

well comp sci, u will usually end up in something programming-related. but i guess you can choose your subjects to suit a different area. but programming is unavoidable.

digital media, my friend is in his final year, and he's doing all sound stuff. but there are other things like film as well.

basically, you've got yourself a very hands-on degree, which is good. and you never know, you might end up on the production team for ice age 3 or something haha.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
On a more academic note, visualisation techniques in data mining require a strong grasp of 3D graphics and data mining (comp sci), as Visualisation software attempts to represent large sets of data using colours and depth and stuff so that we can recognise patterns. Currently being used for stock prices, but there are a myriad of applications (eg. the human genome project).

Kind of like what Tom Cruise did in Minority Report when he was waving his hands around with that holographic machine.

rand0m3r

HSC
oooh i'm actually planning on doing comp graphics and data mining & warehousing as comp electives. never knew there was a relation between those two things.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Computer Science can take you into a number of areas, since it's so flexible in the courses you choose.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2006/3978.html

Scroll down and you'll see:

* COMP3121 Algorithms & Programming Tech (6 UOC)
* COMP3131 Programming Languages & Compil (6 UOC)
* COMP3141 Software Sys Des&Implementat'n (6 UOC)
* COMP3151 Foundations of Concurrency (6 UOC)
* COMP3161 Concepts of Programming Lang. (6 UOC)
* COMP3211 Computer Architecture (6 UOC)
* COMP3222 Digital Circuits and Systems (6 UOC)
* COMP3231 Operating Systems (6 UOC)
* COMP3311 Database Systems (6 UOC)
* COMP3331 Computer Networks&Applications (6 UOC)
* COMP3411 Artificial Intelligence (6 UOC)
* COMP3421 Computer Graphics (6 UOC)
* COMP3431 Intro. Intelligent Agents (6 UOC)
* COMP3441 Cryptography and Security (6 UOC)
* COMP3511 Human Computer Interaction (6 UOC)
* COMP3821 Ext Algorithms&Prog Techniques (6 UOC)
* COMP3891 Ext Operating Systems (6 UOC)
* COMP3931 Ext Computer Networks & App (6 UOC)

You can go into things like Networks & Architecture of systems, or Database related things, or Programming, or Security, or more or less anything you want to go into.

I chose CompSci because of the flexibility. You don't have to do all COMP subjects either, we can choose electives from any faculty. I'm doing a EURO (Arts, European Studies) subject this semester so it's not all hardcore maths/computing.

So it's quite broad in what you can do. If you wanted to to do all commercy/business subjects in your electives, you're free to do so as long as you do the basic ones to meet requirements for higher ones. Same in every other faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)