• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Job recommendations (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I have had not much experience with working.
In 2006 i worked at the local take away shop (working for asians), i was 16, i got $7.50 per hour (off the books) for stocking drinks and washing dishes/trays, sweeping/mopping. I worked there for 2 days a week for about 3 months.

Then at the end of last year (after my hsc) i worked at the local petrol station and was paid $8.50 per hour (off the books again) because i wasnt 18 yet (then it would've been $10). I worked casually, whenever the usual workers were away sick, or to replace my cousin who worked there, so about 3 to 4 days a week for 5hrs at a time.

Now, from this experience, where's a good place i can work, or i can apply for and actually be selected? Ive applied for myer (got group interview 2 yrs ago and fucked it up, havnt been called since) and aldi (no reply for half a year).
I'd like to work somewhere on weekends, since i'd still like to go to uni during weekdays.

Any recommendations?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Omie Jay said:
I have had not much experience with working.
In 2006 i worked at the local take away shop (working for asians), i was 16, i got $7.50 per hour (off the books) for stocking drinks and washing dishes/trays, sweeping/mopping. I worked there for 2 days a week for about 3 months.

Then at the end of last year (after my hsc) i worked at the local petrol station and was paid $8.50 per hour (off the books again) because i wasnt 18 yet (then it would've been $10). I worked casually, whenever the usual workers were away sick, or to replace my cousin who worked there, so about 3 to 4 days a week for 5hrs at a time.

Now, from this experience, where's a good place i can work, or i can apply for and actually be selected? Ive applied for myer (got group interview 2 yrs ago and fucked it up, havnt been called since) and aldi (no reply for half a year).
I'd like to work somewhere on weekends, since i'd still like to go to uni during weekdays.

Any recommendations?
-Pretty much any retail job
-Cafe/restaurant/hospitality work
-Get your RSA/RCG and go for bar work

etc

IMO from your post its not your experience or lack of it thats the problem because you have a reasonable resume for your age. You probably just need to sell yourself better to employers, make your role in those jobs sound just that bit more awesome than they really were (without lying obviously) - e.g. bullshit a little about how they improved your [insert valuable employment skill here].

The takeaway: Well it's a food place so you can go on about hospitality skills, OH&S, food safety skills (the washing up), people skills, bla bla bla

Petrol Station: register experience (always a good one), attention to detail, people skillz, problem solving (? idk), etc

be creative lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)