• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Jobs after uni (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
ive been wondering lately how many of you at uws will approach getting jobs once your degree is over..for example im doing a Managment Degree and ive been thinkin exactly how an organisation will employ a younger person with no experience..i mean ive looked at certain ads for management jobs etc..and they all need management experience..how does one get that when your way to young in the first place..this has got me thinkin as to how im actually gonna get a job..anyone else feel this way

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Well I guess the best thing would be to do some volunteer work or an entry level position while you are in uni so that by the time you finish you WILL have some experience, thats why I am looking for legal clerking jobs etc (with no luck) :(

klh

HSC
hi there, Im in the same dilemma your in so...where to start:

Yes as suggested above, VOLUNTEER!

i just types out a long reply but i pressed back accidentally so i am going to summarise my answer, so im sorry for that:

check out : http://www.uws.edu.au/about/adminorg/devint/ord/students/cooperative_programs
also did they send you a brochure opultining teh Co Op opportunities in the mail to you? i got it btu it mirrors the same thing at that link, so have a browse through that and when the time comes, apply. Note that you need a referee from a professor at uni, which i found out just last year so icoudlnt apply, so behave, be nice to them peopel and try to get their names lol.

ELse volunteer in councils or other organsiations that are willing to take you on, UWS has student Insurances link http://www.uws.edu.au/about/adminorg/academic/fo/insrnc_student/ so ask our coordianter fo info [i have but she hasnt replied grrr] but ceck it out.

I am doing a sub major in HR is if you didnt know so Ive got a an organisation in mind already, its called Sporting Spectrum link http://www.sportingspectrum.com.au/ who doess volunteer jobs for events such as the recently Australia Day Surfboard challenge [i was at the registration part] but they also have work experience places which im gonna apply to later this year, but doing some volunteer work there might help you have somethign unfder your belt. so check that out too!

Some advice, since we are in the same degree albeit different years, if you havent chosen any electives, trust me and do a second major, in something practical! Ive heard from others that our degree is meant as a postgrad degree more than anyhting and that it works best if combined with another major, preferabl more practical as as you know ours is quite theoretical. No one is going to let a undergrad go into management unless they have extensive experience or have really good netowrks/relations so tr yot get into another area and then work your way up with managment knowledge. [you can tell by the fac tthat our degree doesnt have economics or much maths...]

well i know i was ogign to summarise but i couldnt help it, so i hope you find out all you can and i hope this helps.

L

LaraB

or rather than volunteer - get a job :p lol..why workk for free when plenty of places will pay you to work:)

there's heaps of jobs around for uni students, particularly during breaks but if yo can't work during semester due to classes - there's plenty of 1 or 2 day a week positions available...

that's the way i'm doing it - although it helped that i was more or less given a job lol saves the continued search:p but i was hired initially as a clerical officer in one dept, they liked me haha so i got a job in another dept... then they asked for when i have uni breaks so they can hire me again because pretty muchh people go on holidays and leave unfilled spaces every year... then they mentioned that if i continue to enjoy working here i could consider doing my PLT here..

you j ust gotta do that crap thing of working your way up from boring office junior - type positions...

make sure u use careerhub coz the positions on there are usually designed/best suited to uni students as far as hours and the type of person they're after - tehre's been quite a few management ones:)

i can't find it right now coz i'm at work lol - yes i know i should be actually working but meh :p- but there's a few websites with heaps of volunteer organisations... there's one big o ne that's a link from Seek.com.au... if i find em again i'll post them later.... but they always have vacancies and from the sounds of it, if you're a uni student there will be some sort of a job for you somewhere even if it is pretty monotonous, but it's a good starting point:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Having a piece of paper doesn't guarantee you a job. Klh is right though, volunteer. Employers like people who volunteer, because it shows that you have the initative to go out, waste your time, probably doing something that you don't want to do. Its a pain not getting paid, but in the future, it will pay off.

klh

HSC
ah i thougth i forgot something in my reply, since i had to rewrite damn keyboard, the careerhub...well now thats its mentioned meh.

Jobs are good, but if you want to get relevant work experience, than thats a notehr question when they wont look at your application unless there soemthign that applies to that industry/job.
Volunteering is ok, sometimes you meet nice poeple and it makes you forget that youre working you know...plus i only did liek a 3 hour stint, not liek what Cape has done so her insights abotu wasting itme is more valid to her as she does i think 400 hrs for your degree? once you do that, im sure youll porbably agree it sucks...
i think relevance is key, if you dont have relevant experience/applied knowledge in those areas youre stuffed, so if you get a job that makes use of your knowledge/degree the better! I envy those accounting jobs where they do training and get paid becasue management there isnt any.

And go on those job search websites, look at those graduate council jobs if youre thiking far ahead into the future too, or even the defence forces [i was actually considering that but the physical training is gruelling] get to know wha tthey want. look into managment journals as well so you know what they want so your application letters sound better too etc.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yep, I have to do 400 hours, which means I have 280 hours to complete this year, or before Jan next year.

Atleast if you do work experience you get to see what jobs interest you and which don't. Its really helpful.

L

LaraB

you should probably also talk to your course coordinator...

because i mean, i know Law has pro-bono scheme and a whole heap of summer clerkships and work experience placements...

maybe other schools run similar programs that you just don't know about?

it's worth a try - especially since it saves you some time and effort in searching out places that are willing to take on an undergrad student

L

LaraB

natstar said:
There are heaps of internships and coop programs on offer for business students. You could maybe apply for one, as they are paid internships with real companies. With coop's you get to work on assignments companies give you from home. They are great if you want work experience, which is crucial in order to get a good well payed grad job. I've heard from many reliable sources that work experience in your preferred career path is a powerful tool when applying for graduate positions, especially in business.

UWS is having its annual business careers expo at Parra campus on the 20th March. It's really only directed for final year business students but lots of employers come to exhibit their companies. I will definetly be there considering its my final year
i was talking to a lecturer about that and she said its designed for final year students but she's suggest 2nd year students go too... coz if you have a look around in 2nd year, not for anything in p articular, just to 'browse' - then you have a bit of a general knowledge with regards to what fields/firms you wanna work in/for which means the expo will be more useful in 3rd year coz you'll have more specifics in mind and you can ask more specific questions etc

its good too coz its kills those "no one hires uws students" myths too coz duh - if they're at a UWS students only expo they wanna hire you:p so if you're one of those people still worried about all that crap - it'll help you see how many options you've got:)

L

LaraB

hYperTrOphY said:
Do they have similar expos for non-business students?
yes.. there is an engineering and an educatin or arts or something, one but not sure what else..

they seem to have them for the courses that are more in demand and the courses that (apparently) uws's image is bad in.... which makes sense, why have a expo on communications when industry professionals acknowledge it's a really good course and send info out already...

they should have a law one since there's so many people doing the course and it's one of those fields where a lot of students seem lost... unlike teaching and stuff where most people seem to know what they wanna do by a year or 2 in...

and a med/science one though - especially since it's 'new' and students would find it hard to find out as much info as elsewhere

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)