• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Jobs at the airport (1 Viewer)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I went to drop someone off at the airport on Saturday and there was this guy who's in Grade twelve at another school working for Virgin Blue at check-in! And my sister knows a seventeen year old who does check-in for Jetstar!?

I thought airline jobs were really hard to get!? Has anyone tried? Do the airlines advertise or do you just send in your resume?

johony

HSC
I went to drop someone off at the airport on Saturday and there was this guy who's in Grade twelve at another school working for Virgin Blue at check-in! And my sister knows a seventeen year old who does check-in for Jetstar!?

I thought airline jobs were really hard to get!? Has anyone tried? Do the airlines advertise or do you just send in your resume?
wow that's weird. probably their parents work there also.

jaredtomas

HSC
I think check-in would be a shit job. You'd get all the idiots being angry because they missed their flight and people who don't understand you have to pay for going over your checked in baggage weight limit.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think you'd have a good chance yoddle with your customer service experience

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Thanks Jaylee, I applied!!

They just have constant expressions of interest open, but there's no harm in trying aye.

Thanks townie, i'm blushing.

aussie-boy

HSC
A couple of months ago I applied to be a customer service agent for Tiger (the ad was posted on this forum actually) - anyway, went to the interview and was told about the following conditions:

-Needed a car, as could get called up at 4am to go to work
-Only would be required 15hrs a week, and only during aircraft movements; but had to have 24/7 availability
-Pay was $19 an hour

Idk if this is standard, or if it was just the company (aerocare) to which ground operations had been subcontracted to...

I'd say unless you live in Mascot, forget about it

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Haha living in Mascot would probably be more of a hindrance as I'm applying for the job in Launceston.

But thanks for the advance warning of shit conditions

Resident

HSC
I worked for Aerocare for about a year while I was at TAFE doing both checkin and ramp (baggage stuff).

If you like hard work and time senstive work then its great fun. In the time I was there I got to do pretty much everything (Aerocare at canberra airport do all tiger and virgin operations). My memories in dot point

• Check in sucks
  • Stacking 80 20kg+ bags into a aircraft hold is hard work
  • Messing up bag count and having to recount them all over again is harder
  • Marshling 373s is cool (using the wands to guide a plane to its bay)
  • Being tug driver (driving the bags to and from planes and setting up equipment) is damn stressful
  • Pushing back planes from the gate is hard to learn
  • Tiger's planes (A320s?) are along way off the ground
  • People who have annoying luggage are likely to have it thrown
  • E-170s are made of plastic and easy to break
  • 18 free flights a year on virgin
  • 5am starts in Canberra winter on a motorbike.......

All BS aside I look back on my time working for Aerocare with good memories, it was hard work but its pretty unique work and I found it fit in great with my 30 or so contact hours a week.

Also I don't see how they could need 24/7 availability as Sydney airport is not open 24 hours a day.

mb87

HSC
N/A
I've always wanted to work at the airport - especially the international one. Absolutely love the ambience and the busy atmosphere of it all.

If memory serves me correct, your best bet in landing work at the airport would probably be Aerocare as mentioned above. I went through the whole application and got the job but declined as I found something more suitable..career wise.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
A couple of months ago I applied to be a customer service agent for Tiger (the ad was posted on this forum actually) - anyway, went to the interview and was told about the following conditions:

-Needed a car, as could get called up at 4am to go to work
-Only would be required 15hrs a week, and only during aircraft movements; but had to have 24/7 availability
-Pay was $19 an hour

Idk if this is standard, or if it was just the company (aerocare) to which ground operations had been subcontracted to...

I'd say unless you live in Mascot, forget about it
And apparently those positions are full time from 4th October as Tiger are adding up to 7 more daily movements.

If you apply now for Aerocare at Sydney Airport you still might have a shot at a full time position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)