JRAHS principal retires after being confident his school will top (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
JRAHS principal retires....I wonder if the school's next principal is ready to take on the pressure and expectations to maintain number one...or will this be the fall that NSGHS or BHHS have been waiting/hoping for....lol

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...eving-principal/2006/12/07/1165081092042.html

THE principal of James Ruse Agricultural High says he will retire after his selective school tops the HSC achievement list for the 11th year in a row.

That is a supremely confident assertion, considering the HSC results will not be released until December 19.

But Michael Quinlan, who likens his confidence to that of a thoroughbred trainer, expects his school's results will be 30 per cent higher than the next school in line - either North Sydney Girls or Baulkham Hills High. Last year 172 James Ruse students sat the HSC and 86 of them scored at or above 99.2.

Turning 60 in May prompted Mr Quinlan's decision to retire after 15 years as principal.

"This will be the 11th year the school has been the top achiever in the HSC," he said. "We already know we will be top because we run continual statistical information on our students."

That statistical information allows the school to come up with its own version of the University Admissions Index, ranking students against the state average.

In that way, each student knows where they stand in comparison to other students around the state - and by how much they need to improve their performance.

"I believe you have to acknowledge student performances against a state-wide standard and the students have to know how they are performing," Mr Quinlan said. "It is a very handy tool for teachers, because they can self-evaluate their class's performance against a state standard."

As the son of educators and the parent of four children who attended Cherrybrook Technology High School, Mr Quinlan says he is a firm supporter of public education and in the ranking of school performance."I'm a parent and as a parent I would like to think that I can evaluate one school against another," he said.

But beyond the constant reassessment of student performance, Mr Quinlan says there are many other ingredients that have contributed to his school's success.

A strong code of self discipline, reflected in compulsory school uniform, is designed to encourage students to be independent learners.

The culture of the school encourages students to laud the academic performance of their peers. It discourages the tall poppy syndrome. "We have a proven formula for success and all [the students] need to do is follow the formula and they will be part of the success formula," he said.

Mr Quinlan suspects that some of the pressure he puts on himself to maintain the school's position as number one has flowed through to his students.

In retirement, he plans to take time out to "smell the roses", but admits it will be a struggle learning to relax after his relentless pursuit of excellence.

"I will miss it dreadfully," he said.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
^

haha u spelt my second name wrong. =_=

anyhow. i must thank JR nevetheless, they been my source of motivation all yr.

*bow*

Interdrama

#wang
HSC
bobness said:
I don't :eek:

This has been old news, since halfway through 2006.
</3.

Like... so many people were counting down until Wednesday because, like half of the ruse people hate him!

That bastard signed my detention thing without reading!

xclo

HSC
same, signed the note to ban my account for a year without even knowing what i did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)