Juggling: Uni & Part-time Work (1 Viewer)

GinoIs

HSC
After putting some resumes out today, I got a call back this afternoon from a service station seeking some part-time workers. I'll be having an interview tomorrow and more than likely I'll probably be asked how many hours a week I would like - So what's a good amount of hours to be working in a week while bearing uni?

It's my first year and adding up the hours from the timetable (tut & lec) I'll be there for 15hours. I've been told that for every hour in a tut or lec equates to an hour studying - so I'm guessing 30hrs in total.

I'm seeking advice on how people are fairing in terms of juggling uni as well as part-time work - any tips would be greatly appreciated.

And how are you coping with part-time work and uni?

Edit: Spelling & making sentences make sense.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
at one point last semester i did 30-35 hours work and 15 hours uni a week (contact hours only)

you wouldn't want to do much more than that (in total) if you're wanting to do well at uni

or if you're happy with scraping P's at uni you could work moar

EDIT: if you're doing science or engineering type subjects at uni probably work less because they're quite heavy sometimes :D

antisheep

HSC
I currently work a contracted 15 hours a week with additional 5 or so hours a week... funnily enough they government going to uni people reccommend that full time students only work 12 hours a week, but I don't know a single person that can make their life work on that much unless they're getting significant financial help from mummy and daddy. Working in somewhat bigger companies helps because then you usually have greater flexibility to drop hours around exam time and during holidays work more (For instance during holidays I generally work a 35 hour week) This way you can save money for textbooks.

Keeping down a part time job is fine but if this is your first year I wouldn't even consider taking on more than 20 if I were you... then if you're coping well, getting decent marks as well as still having time for yourself then you could consider asking your employer for more hours. They say that if you want something done give it to a busy person, so just make sure your time counts.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Depends what course you're doing. My friend is doing a commerce course and he managed to juggle 35 hours of work a week and pass all his subjects (granted he hardly went to lectures and stuff), however he said it was one of the most stressful things he's ever done (and hence he's doing part time uni this year).

Personally, i worked about 15ish hours a week last year and i'm in an engineering course. Two 4 hour night shifts and a 7 hour day shift on sunday. Worked out to be a fairly good balance to me.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Depends how much you're earning. Become a tutor in a high-school subject you were good at.

I'm a guitar teacher and I charge $35 an hour, so 6 hours a week gets me plenty and it's easy work.

GinoIs

HSC
I've tried to stay away from shopping centres and go for places which open 24/7
cause I tend to find that their hours are more giving.
I applied at Service Stations and Drive-in Bottle shops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)