Keep 2U Mark or do 4U? (1 Viewer)

pasq

HSC
Hello all.

I completed the 2U HSC test last year, and recieved an atar mark of 98. I am now trying to decide whether to keep this mark and do ext 1, or do ext 1 and ext 2, which would make this mark not count. What mark would I need in extension 2 to make doing extension 2 worth it?

Thanks in advance

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Firstly, congratulations for scoring 98 in 2U!

I was just on the ATAR calculator websites and it seems that a 4U mark of 91 or 92 is equivalent to a 98 in 2U. So it seems that if you feel rather comfortable at scoring in the E4 range for 4U then I would recommend doing 4U. If you get higher than 91 or 92 in 4U, then 4U will carry a higher scaled mark towards increasing your ATAR compared to a 98 in 2U. However, just remember that as you get higher in your 4U mark, then the difference towards your ATAR becomes more minimal.

For example, scoring a 93 compared to a 92 in 4U carries a more drastic change than a 97 compared to a 96 in 4U.

Also, remember that the workload of 4U is much more compared to 3U or 2U in my opinion and consistent practice becomes vitally important.

So in essence, if you feel you can get higher than 91 or 92 in 4U, then I would recommend that you do it. Just make sure that you don't sacrifice your other subjects in compensation for 4U study even though you need lots of practice for 4U.

Hope that helped to some extent!

Last edited:

jjuunnee

HSC
If you wanna do 4U because you generally enjoy doing maths then go for it, however, if you're doing it purely because of scaling or something then there's no point in doing the subject because the workload is huge, plus you have an incredibly good 2U mark. What you can do though is start with doing 4U and see how you go with marks and ranks before deciding whether to drop it or not.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Do 4u because it's more fun (after doing 4u, 2u and 3u felt boring compared to it) + huge scaling. I got 97 in 2u accelerated and still got 97 in 4u so you should be fine to get a really high mark!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)