Keep Legal Studies or Earth and Environmental Science? (1 Viewer)

disguisedshiba

HSC
Hi,

Not sure which to drop:
EES (doing okay but hard to put in effort since alot of the stuff u learn in prelim is nonsense, I've heard you don't need the yr11 course too much for yr12 and I have a better chance of ranking in the top 3 in ees)
Legal Studies (Good at the subject but not interested in doing too much writing/pure humanities courses in the HSC)
My rankings in all other subjects are good.
I also do bio, chem, and english adv. Legal is the only humanities course I'm taking.

Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are three factors that you could consider if you wish to make an informed decision regarding the subject to drop:
  • Interest
  • Performance
  • Relevance to further studies (if applicable)
Interest:

While your post does not specify whether you find Earth and Environmental Science interesting, you did mention that you are not particularly interested in the writing aspect of Legal Studies, which indicates that keeping EES would probably suit your interests more closely. It is important to emphasise keeping the subject that you are interested in (or least uninterested in) so that you maintain an ability to effectively focus on the subject throughout year 12. Based on this, and given your post, EES seems to have the edge here.

Performance:

A lack of interest/lower interest may make it more difficult to perform at a level that is consistent with your goals in Legal Studies compared to EES. In year 12, favourable performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams of a particular subject is essential if you wish to achieve a high rank, which maximises your chance of achieving a favourable Assessment Mark (the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your HSC mark).

If you strongly believe that you can rank within the top 3 of your EES cohort in year 12 and if you feel that you are more likely to reach such a position than its equivalent position in Legal Studies, then you should probably consider dropping Legal Studies.

Relevance to further studies (if applicable):

You may already be aware that while Legal Studies familiarises you with the basics of the Australian legal framework, it is not treated as assumed knowledge for a Bachelor of Laws, meaning that keeping this subject is not required if your sole intention is to study law at university.

On the other hand, subjects like Chemistry and Biology are treated as assumed knowledge for degrees including a Bachelor of Science and are more likely to be classified as such than EES. However, unlike Legal Studies, EES can, in some cases, be treated as assumed knowledge. Consider the following examples:
I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)