King Lear Assessment Please HELP (1 Viewer)

reuder

Hi guys...I need some help... The question is...

1.Select and present an extract from King Lear that illustrates a key trait of a character to the audience. Remember to use tone, pause, stance, gesture, facial expression where relevant. You must present the extract as an individual performance.
2.Discuss your extract in terms of how it reveals an understanding of the character and their relationship with others in the text and the issues that the composer wants us to consider.
3.Discuss aspects of language including things such as motifs and symbolism.

Any thoughts on how to begin...PLEASE???? (what scene and character should I pick)
THANKS

malkin86

HSC
I'd pick Lear and pride... he has lost the love of his older daughters by being so prideful that he expects them to be sycophantic. he orders them around in their own houses.

that sounds like a horrible asst, good luck.

Magister

HSC
N/A
How about humility? Look at Lear after his madness in the storm and how much he is reduced to "unaccomodated man" and how understanding and empathy suddenly dawns on him. If you get the time, look at this part of the scene as it is presented in two different productions of the play-e.g. the BBC shakespearean version, Olivier's, the two Peter Brook versions (the 1953 tv movie starring Orson Welles is interesting-black-and-white and very bleak!) plus Michael Elliott's. You will see different interpretations to III,ii. Don't forget to incorporate all of the dramatic elements and techniques specified by the task. It sure is a demanding one!! (Reminds me of Wagga High assessment tasks! I had to mark them more often than not!!)

Good luck!
Magister

04er

HSC
lollll..... this assessment is a bad ass...

I came up with some examples.....

one trait would be honesty and virtue, as shown by Cordelia - you can talk about Act I Scene I and the 'love contest' where she refuses to exaggerate her love for King Lear and claims her love will need to be shared with her husband upon marriage

another would be King Lear, the irrational and hot-headed king - again, Act I Scene I

Edmumd proves to be deceitful in the eyes of his father, the Earl of Gloucester and reveals himself a traitor when he gives info to Cornwall about the letter (somewhere in Act III) - he is also selfish and is taking out revenge onto both his father and illegitimate brother

Similarly Regan and Gonerill are cunning in their conspiracies, plotting against a father who has given them everything - of course, this can be interpreted differently, e.g. they may simply be acting in self-defence - the technique here is 'dramatic irony'

The Fool is not as foolish as his name suggests - he is knowledgeable and his comments are usually insightful - at the same time he is entertaining

Your analysis should come after selecting a discerning scene. Make sure to make a list of points (techniques, ideas, context etc) before beginning your proper analysis to ensure you have a sufficient discussion

Last edited:

reuder

Thanks alot people, it's helped me, I hope it also helps someone else. THANKS AGAIN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)