King Lear Section 2 HELP (1 Viewer)

RaZzB3ry

HSC
I have just received the question on the essay (section 2 - king lear) .. for my half yearly exams..which are next week..
This term our class has studied King lear as a close study of text.:read:

What are your ideas in answering this question?? any advice/ help ??:)
What impact has pride or the perception of pride had on the events of King Lear??

Last edited:

julieLa

HSC
hay razberry its julss,, i need help with that too..
ccan anyone help ..

does anyone have any ideas as to themes that reflect upon the concept of pride in king lear?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Can't you just use lear as an example of arrogance and pride? Like everything he does in the first two acts is act like a king even though he abdicated. You can use the opening where he forces his daughters to love him, you can say how his knights are problematic to his host, you can say how he complains that he isn't being looked after properly at very minor things, and you can say how he curses his daughters and starts commanding nature and the heavens as examples of his pride. Thats a few examples from the first 2 acts. There really isn't much pride after the storm scene.

EDIT: I hate english. :D

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
RaZzB3ry said:
I have just received the question on the essay (section 2 - king lear) .. for my half yearly exams..which are next week..
This term our class has studied King lear as a close study of text.:read:

What are your ideas in answering this question?? any advice/ help ??:)
What impact has pride or the perception of pride had on the events of King Lear??
I won't specifiy which line but i'll give you rough outline.
King Lear - Act 1

*Rejects Cordelia's statement that she loves him based on their bond -> his pride as a King makes him want her to love him and praise him more than a father.
*Tells Kent to kneel "by his allegiance" as Kent defies him.
*Continues showing pride as he disowns Cordelia in front of Burgundy and France.
*Lear striking Oswald for his rudeness.

These two instances show that he's accustomed to being a King -> his pride causes his madness.
You should also state that ironically his madness makes him sane, whereas when he was sane, he was really mad.

jellybelly59

HSC
u can also use gloucester... use the scene where he is blinded by regan and cornwall... it's symbolic because gloucester is blinded by pride (the subplot carries similar themes to the main plot and the earl of gloucester has similar traits to the king) but only when his eyes are gouged out that he truly is able to see everyone for who they really are

RaZzB3ry

HSC
that is the question .. lol

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
RaZzB3ry said:
that is the question .. lol
King lear's pride caused him to make his daughters love him. That in turn brought about the exile of kent, because Lear was too proud to admit he made a mistake. He also ends up getting rid of cordellia, who was proberbly the only daughter who would look after him after his retirement.

Then his pride makes him a burden to his evil daughters and they begin to plot to get rid of him. Then he gets driven away by them, and is driven mad.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
advanced sam said:
why king lear in year 11?
I'm doing king lear, and i'm in year 11. We're doing it because it's a yr 12 text, and the teachers want to believe (quite foolishly) that we can handle year 12 texts, so they make us do it, then they get disapointed when people get B's instead of A's. :D

RaZzB3ry

HSC
yes true true .. we should complain .. they do try and think that we can handle it ..
but .. i guess i a way it prepares us for more compliacated and harder texts in the future.. lol

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol king lear is 10x easier to understand and read than a few others of Shakespeares plays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)