king lear (1 Viewer)

iirwin

HSC
Query : just how many people are doin king lear and if so r u doin the marxists view???:)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: king lear

yes and no.

the module actually requires you to make YOUR own understanding of it, rather than the mainstream view + backing that view up.

iirwin

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: king lear

tommykins said:
yes and no.

the module actually requires you to make YOUR own understanding of it, rather than the mainstream view + backing that view up.

my sympathies to you all cept tommykins.. you get it ... but still

HSC
we just started lear (liking it so far), so i don't know what view we're going to be taking, if indeed we take a certain view at all...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Charity F said:
i think you were just supposed to use other views to build/support your own opinion on the text.

i.e. Module B was about drawing from other's perspectives, and thereby draw your own personal conclusions.

It was the best Module, imo.
Something along those lines, you should be exploring different readings of it and then make your own, whether you agree with a reading or not.

I highly suggest you make your own though, as it's a really versatile text and there's so much to talk about.

The rubric is like 4-5 pages, but essentially states that yeah, make your own reading.

PS. I don't know the feminist/marxists reading :) Maybe feminist abit, how theres no mum's.

Good luck. I've always enjoyed Shakespeare and this play is one of his best.

HSC
N/A
Charity F said:
i think you were just supposed to use other views to build/support your own opinion on the text.

i.e. Module B was about drawing from other's perspectives, and thereby draw your own personal conclusions.

It was the best Module, imo.
Yeah pretty much, but you should actually draw your own conclusions from the text first - it's meant to be, what do YOU think the play is about. Then, you can use the views of critics to support your argument or gain extra insight into the text.

To the OP:
1) Yes
2) No - but remember the point of the 'textual integrity' component of this module highlights that there are so many different interpretations of the text, that by limiting it to a single interpretation (that doesn't thread through everything in the play), the play loses some of its richness. The terms you use e.g. marxist, feminist, familial etc are just to help label your thoughts and opinions on the play.
Are you using the Kosintsev production then?

morganjane

HSC
yep im studying Lear in Criticial Study

We've looked at Nihilism and Liberal Humanism

But then you must apply your own interpretation...

hannah26

HSC
I have an 8 min speech due on monday based on my interpretation of lear and i have only just decided to go with the feminist reading....also incorporating the theme of blindness and order vs chaos.
only problem is i have absolutely no idea how to start the speech and how to use all these themes in it!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)