King Lear (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
king lear is a really really dodgy text ... compared to othello for example ... good luck to 2003 students who have to do this text ...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
we never did Othello
grrrrr I seriously can't read this book.
Did you know they're taking it off the HSC text list for 2004 because its TOO HARD!!!!!!
Why can't they do that this year???

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Yeah the thrust of the king lear module is how you would produce king lear, look at eyre's version and peter brookes', also need to know about different interpretations and critical readings.

Yes, I think is was the most difficult module and text to study.

HSC
i got news for you:
if you're having troubles getting past the first page, you're gonna have a lot of problems trying to get through the module. analysing the text is the easiest part of the entire module. just wait till you have to look at diff interpretations, values, productions, and all of that crap, and then, make up your own production!!

jessika

law chicky
HSC
the actual play itself is pretty cool, studying it is not.

do you read the play in class and have people reading out diff parts?

King Lear is a performance play, so con your teacher into letting you all read it together in class, it makes it more interesting, and if you dont have a major part and you get really bored, it gives you more sleeping time in class :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
actually the 2002 hsc lear question basically asked everything you could cover in a module for lear ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

ah since when was studying english advanced fun?
it provides a time to whinge and whine about the system ...:D

Vampire Maharet

heres a bit of help for everyone

ok this is for everyone,who like me,are doing king lear this year for english

go to this site-

http://www.learn.co.za/content/grade12/English/Shakespeare/KingLearNotes/Unit1/

seriously it will help so much.I'm so glad I found it before holidays were over and we have to start it

It has everything from what the themes of the book are,to characters,to scene summaries....its so beautiful *wipes tear from eye*
trust me,if you go through this site first,then start reading the play you will get it heaps easier

I hope it helps you all as much as its helped me :D

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
King Lear aint that bad!

I thought it was alright...

the mainthing...i think...is to know about different productions and how certian readings were staged...plus try and think of ways YOU would stage certain ideas or readings of the script.
Call me crazy but i liked King Lear. . .There were so many different interpretations that in my exam i had so much to write about!!! Much better that 'Emma'.:mad:

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
king lear really isn't that bad
i struggled with it for ages but by the time trials came around it because surprisingly easy
i never advise this but if you're having troubles getting through it try reading a plot summary first. that way when you read it you won't have to struggle quite so much with the language. try and see as many live/filmic productions of it as possible. also read the different interpretations of prominent critics
then think about how you would stage it with dramatic techniques etc

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by !meeee!
king lear really isn't that bad
i struggled with it for ages but by the time trials came around it because surprisingly easy
i never advise this but if you're having troubles getting through it try reading a plot summary first. that way when you read it you won't have to struggle quite so much with the language. try and see as many live/filmic productions of it as possible. also read the different interpretations of prominent critics
then think about how you would stage it with dramatic techniques etc
My class watched 8 different productions before we actually read the play and it was really helpful. We had to write the ideas, literary techniques used by the different productions. When it came to reading the play it understood it more plus it gave us a whole new perspective on King Lear and it's potrayal of evil, betrayment, love, and relationships:D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Lear was an excellent play...stop whinging about it! If you haven't even got past the first page, who are you to be condemning it already? :p

I found it the only only module with any real challenge or thought...there are some pretty good threads with discussions on Lear from last year (especially as a performance piece), that you guys might find useful.

http://x300-3-bne.servers.net.au/~admin8/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25 - all sorts of stuff

http://x300-3-bne.servers.net.au/~admin8/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1991 - before exams

http://x300-3-bne.servers.net.au/~admin8/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1901 - themes

http://x300-3-bne.servers.net.au/~admin8/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1520 - productions

http://x300-3-bne.servers.net.au/~admin8/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1308 - readings and productions.

:)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Im not whinging about the content, Im whinging about the fact that it is so difficult to read. Im very sorry if I sound inferior to you because you read it with such ease standing upside down on your head with your eyes closed, but Im just venting my fustrations!!!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
We are doing King Lear now. I am actually enjoying it I think it's a pretty good play.... in class we read a scene, then discuss what has happened and make a brief summary of each scene (with the important quotes) in our personal reading logs. It's really helpful in understanding the text. I would recommend keep a reading log, especially for a text like King Lear which can become quite complicated.

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
im doing king lear now....
and pretty much my class is struggling...
i dont think the text was boring, its just that there is too much to interpret with themes and other productions and (also my teacher cant teach properly, we basically have to teach ourselves cause she wastes our class time doing her own things). My teacher is sad

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Lear is only about as hard as any other Shakespeare text to READ. If you have issues reading it, get a summary and get the gist, and then compare it to the actual text. Other option is to watch the play.. but that doesn't help if the actors are true to the text :)

malayz_angel

Hey guys, I did 'King Lear' last term and in all honesty, I didn't find it that bad. Sure, the language takes a little getting used to but once u figure out the plot, u know it's basically about an old man who trusts the wrong daughters and kicks out the loyal one. He realises his mistakes and goes insane for a brief period of time before finally reuniting with his favourite daughter-- short- lived as that reunion might be. The only thing that I didn't get is... yes, Gloucester dies, but how?

"If nobody's perfect then I want to be nobody."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)