• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

"Knowledge is the one true form of power." (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
it's too late for us kids who still go to school to properly discuss.

it is. some would say money is more powerful, but youmust KNOW how to make money in the first place. love & other emotions are significant parts of life but don't have much influence on power.

retiring for the night. forgive me if i said anything incoherent.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
God is the only *true* form of power imo

Others say that it's the will of the individual

stfu knowledge

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
God is the only *true* form of power imo

Others say that it's the will of the individual

stfu knowledge
Knowledge of God!
Everything comes down to knowledge!
I'll fucking fight you on this one!
Grrrr...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Knowledge of truth is ultimately knowledge of God?

god is truth is knowledge is power

Lex152

HSC
Knowledge is one source of power, but without being able to apply it your knowledge is void.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Imo your idea of power boils down to nothing more than a futile vanity exercise. It's slavery to ego, locked in narcissism. My idea is, like, including a creator, a redeemer and a sanctifier

Lentern

HSC
I've heard it said that Trotsky's intelligence was possibly his undoing...

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I've heard it said that Trotsky's intelligence was possibly his undoing...
No, his arrogance and conceitedness over his intelligence was. He alienated everyone from him, thanks to his superiority complex.

Lentern

HSC
No, his arrogance and conceitedness over his intelligence was. He alienated everyone from him, thanks to his superiority complex.
Had his intellectuall calibre not been so much higher than the average bolshevik he probably wouldn't have grown to impatient and arrogant.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Had his intellectuall calibre not been so much higher than the average bolshevik he probably wouldn't have grown to impatient and arrogant.
True, but I view it mostly as a personality flaw. Not every intelligent person in the world is conceited about it.

Lentern

HSC
True, but I view it mostly as a personality flaw. Not every intelligent person in the world is conceited about it.
Yes but the question of whether knowlege delivers power I think is answered in the negative through the Trotsky case. He was the cleverest, he lost it all to those less clever.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yes but the question of whether knowlege delivers power I think is answered in the negative through the Trotsky case. He was the cleverest, he lost it all to those less clever.
Well for starters, intelligence and knowledge are seperate things. Whilst there is often a correlation between the two, they are not mutually inclusive.
Secondly, the fact is that he did initially get power, thanks primarily to his knowledge (and intelligence). The reason he lost power was because of his economic theory and an economic crisis (neither of which he had any knowledge of) which caused political factionalism and everyone else use their collective knowledge against him. Again proven, knowledge is power.

Lentern

HSC
Well for starters, intelligence and knowledge are seperate things. Whilst there is often a correlation between the two, they are not mutually inclusive.
Secondly, the fact is that he did initially get power, thanks primarily to his knowledge (and intelligence). The reason he lost power was because of his economic theory and an economic crisis (neither of which he had any knowledge of) which caused political factionalism and everyone else use their collective knowledge against him. Again proven, knowledge is power.
He was frustrated by Lenin and supplanted by Stalin, neither of which were any near as sharp as he was economically or otherwise. I won't go so far as to call it fate, but I think timing is the biggest factor in deciding if someone with potential, (of whom there are tens of thousands) goes on to become powerful. One question I will ask until the cows come home is whether or not six million jews lives might have been spared had Adolf hitler been accepted into the vienna school of arts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)