• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Labor leadership and backbench challenge (1 Viewer)

midget68

When do u predict there will be a Labor leadership overhaul, if any at that? And from whom? Will Beazly do a backbench challenge? Or maybe Rudd or Gillard or Irwin?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i'm wondering if such a fallout in leader material line up has ever occurred and whether the party was able to recover from it.

midget68

well in the 1980's and early 90's the liberals were having massive leadership problems and they kept changing leaders

peakock - howard - peakock- howard - hewson - downer - howard

they recovered and won 4 elections in a row plus a senate majority (they won on the back of ppl's greed - "good economic times")

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As i said before, you would be absoultely crazy to want to be the Labor leader in these times...

Lorie

HSC
i thought labor had a good year.....oh apart from the election :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
Deus said:
As i said before, you would be absoultely crazy to want to be the Labor leader in these times...
Why? Aren't Labor responsible for the initial stages of the country's current period of economic prosperity?

A leadership overhaul following a leadership challenge is far from what is needed at the current time... Given the backbench comments, we cannot know for sure whether the current levels of support are due to Latham's own actions or the actions of those creating instability within the party (well, they may be acting in response to Latham/factional interests so I guess that he may be at fault for that in a sense, too). With support and time... However, it doesn't seem as though Latham will have much of either from this point on.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You may have a great leader....but their sucsess will be largely dependent on circumstances and the times.

midget68

maybe labor needs to employ the services of some numbers men at the next federal election

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Beazley just ruled it out on the news (again)...I hate the labor party. I've always wanted to vote for them, but they make it so hard.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
Beazley won't challenge, Gillard's from the wrong faction.

If there's a challenge (i'm betting feb/march) then it'll be Rudd or Smith. If Latham steps down it'll be Rudd or Beazley.

Lorie

HSC
The mistake that labor had with Crean as leader is that the change didn't happen till 10 months before the election. This didn't give Latham much time to show the people who he is and what he stands for. If labor does make a change they should do it soon or not at all. The leader needs to be considered trustworthy and the people should be able to relate to the voters, this was the problem last election. But i suppose Lathams health might have an influence in this issue.

midget68

they dont need a very good leader, they need votes, and they need to get numbers men in the marginal seats and win

possible challengers: lindsay tanner, beazly(got the numbers from the remnants of the old keating regime), and rudd

midget68

is latham on labor left or right?

if he is not in the center than why r his policies so mixed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)