• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Language techniques in "As you like it" (1 Viewer)

AA duck

HSC
Hi guys, i was just wondering if any of you could give me a heads up on how the various language techniques present in Shakespeare's "As You Like It" convey ideas prevalent to the concept of belonging.

Also, it would be great if you could give me some quotes relevant to belonging in the play.

Thus far, I've got Corin's
"Not a whit, Touchstone; those that are good manners at the court are as ridiculous in the country as the behaviour of the country is most mockable at the court. (III, ii)"
This shows the contrast between civilised courtly life and country life, exploring the concept of belonging to place.

Cheers :)

HSC
Hi guys, i was just wondering if any of you could give me a heads up on how the various language techniques present in Shakespeare's "As You Like It" convey ideas prevalent to the concept of belonging.

Also, it would be great if you could give me some quotes relevant to belonging in the play.

Thus far, I've got Corin's
"Not a whit, Touchstone; those that are good manners at the court are as ridiculous in the country as the behaviour of the country is most mockable at the court. (III, ii)"
This shows the contrast between civilised courtly life and country life, exploring the concept of belonging to place.

Cheers :)
As terrible as this may sound, but to score a Band 6 in Advanced English, you'll need more than the obvious. I mean the line itself and what you've explained it to be is just translation...

Well, as much as I hate not letting students grasp concepts for themselves, I'll give you a nudge in the right direction, as I'm sure you're eager to do well.

Okay, let's take an example that no-one ever realized existed, where Duke Senior "find tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones and good in everything." (Forgive me if the line is a bit incorrect, it's been months since I've last read 'As You Like It').

Hmm...what what's the language technique here? Alliteration and Personification. Shakespeare never write stuff by accident so you know this is important.

Alright, lets read on, and maybe we'll find our answer there. Next line is something like "as the icy fang and churlish chiding of the winter's wind, which when it bites and blows upon my body."

Hmm..still alliteration and personification, almost as Shakespeare was making this forest look like a living creature...almost like the notion of animus (pagan religion)? Isn't it ironic that a Christian court should feel as though it 'belonged' to a pagan place? And isn't it ironic that Duke Senior, who feels as though he 'belongs to this forest, is being "chided [sic]" by it? And isn't it ironic that this man, who CLEARLY belongs to the court (the rightful king) should also feel a sense of belonging to Arden?

As you can see Belonging in 'As You Like It' is not as simple as 'oh it's a preference of country life over city life,' and that's the answer the marker will be reading hundreds of times over. It's part about how complex the nature of belonging is - do we belong to one particular set of rules, or can we belong to more?

I'll leave you to figure out the rest for yourself, these should've been good points to ponder over.

Good luck with the H.S.C :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)