• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Laptop screen issue (1 Viewer)

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello everyone,

I have a Toshiba P25-S5093 laptop that has an issue in regards to the display. The screen still works and still displays colour etc. (I'm typing on it now), but at random times, the colours on the screen go red or I have a fuzzy display. To fix these issues, I just have to lightly tap on an area in the center of the section just above the keyboard. Once I do that, everything is normal again. From looking at images on the internet, that is the exact point where the screen ribbon cable connects to the motherboard. I suspect my screen cable is either a bit loose or it's getting old and worn out from all those opening and closing actions?
I would like to know if there is any way I can permanently fix this issue? or if my suspicion about the screen cable is correct or am I facing a faulty motherboard.... I am a computer technician, not a laptop technician so I don't know if opening it up would be a wise idea. :confused:
At the moment, I doubt there is anything wrong with my motherboard because if the laptop is connected to an external display, the external display never exhibits the same issues, only the LCD on the laptop has issues from what I know.

Thanks.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I am not sure about your particular monitor but it sounds like the connections are loose. On my toshiba they became visable after liftingthe key board.

look for your service manual online.

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
Yup, it's a loose screen cable alright. The cable tends to get loose over time when the screen is moved up and down a lot of times. Next time, I think I'll buy a Dell, I never had issues with my Dell laptops. As a bonus, the optical drive in my Toshiba laptop is now dead which is giving me the shits because I can't reinstall Windows unless I bother my cousin and borrow her external DVD drive (which I had to do the other day).

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
Back with an update....

I had to take the laptop to pieces today to find the darn screen cable. It was located under the upper section of the palm rest assembly. The cable didn't seem loose at all, I did however take it out, cleaned it and reconnected it.
So far I haven't seen my display do anything funny so I'll just hope for the best atm.

As for the optical drive that died.... it isn't exactly *dead* yet. It still reads DVDs fine so I decided to use imgburn and converted my Windows XP SP2 install CD to a DVD and performed a reinstall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)