I uninstalled it and use open office
very good idea :) that would be recommended

sunny

meh.
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
im still getting use to the 1000h multi touch trackpad :(
3 fingers for right click

trackpad is huge on the 1000h but the prooff is using it urself :)

Why not change it to 2 fingers for right click?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah my old acer had that problem............ its a desktop replacement for upstairs..

i installed OSx86 (think mac for non-apple PCs) and its kinda nice.. i got to admit this thing lasts me through my 3 hrs of lecture blocks with <1 recharge.. and then if its more.. i just move to the powerpoint or charge it..

runs 2-3 windows very smoothly on the lowest CPU settting for max power.. ~990mhz and 800 on the MSI.. just make sure the software ur using isnt too bulky.. like Photoshop CS2 works ok.. but i just use GIMP cos i rarely need it.. and like 2003 office runs fast... or openoffice 3 ... havent tried 2007 cos.. well tat office version... is too different for me ...

umm in ure honours yr.. recommend u use ure Endnotes on it.. i got my license thru my uni.. its very useful.. or refworks..but i dun use that.. endnotes X2 runs fast on my 1000H
Already submitted champ, and endnote/zotero and all that can eat a massive cock rofl.

Ended up using the reliable pen and paper method instead, purely because integration with various programs sucked (particularly zotero and its inability to migrate databases).

And 2007 took a while to grow on me, but now I can't imagine going back haha

intuiit

HSC
N/A
F2001, have you seen this one?

HP Mini 1000 here and here -- IMO, the black one's perfect, the pink one's just wrong.

If you're looking for something affordable and enough to get by everyday writing/assignments/boredofstudies/etc -- this one seems like a good choice, there's a media center type of thing, it's pretty cool. sigh. who calls their website "geek.com"?!

of course, the msi wind is ok... more space and if you're less concerned with what the computer looks like, it's definitely the smartest choice... or the lenovo s10.

Hope that helped

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
intuiit said:
F2001, have you seen this one?

HP Mini 1000 here and here -- IMO, the black one's perfect, the pink one's just wrong.

If you're looking for something affordable and enough to get by everyday writing/assignments/boredofstudies/etc -- this one seems like a good choice, there's a media center type of thing, it's pretty cool. sigh. who calls their website "geek.com"?!

of course, the msi wind is ok... more space and if you're less concerned with what the computer looks like, it's definitely the smartest choice... or the lenovo s10.

Hope that helped
As discussed earlier in the thread, the HP netbook is significantly slower than either the eeePC or the wind.

F2001

HSC
MSI Wind U100 looks great. (with 2gb+).
How many memory slots does the laptop have?

I'm just not sold on the Atom CPU.

Looks like a winner in everything except performance.
General & Office use is still a PITA/slow on my 1.6ghz Banias Centrino, doesn't seem like the Atom will improve that much (benchmarks show its almost equivalent to a 900-1000mhz Dothan).

I"ll see if there is anything out there max 10" with Merom CPUs even though heat/battery life will be much worse. If not U100 is the winner for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

HSC
F2001 said:
MSI Wind U100 looks great. (with 2gb+).
How many memory slots does the laptop have?

I'm just not sold on the Atom CPU.

Looks like a winner in everything except performance.
General & Office use is still a PITA/slow on my 1.6ghz Banias Centrino, doesn't seem like the Atom will improve that much (benchmarks show its almost equivalent to a 900-1000mhz Dothan).

I"ll see if there is anything out there max 10" with Merom CPUs even though heat/battery life will be much worse. If not U100 is the winner for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.
It has 2 RAM slots

The intel atom processor is power efficient and fast, and it can be underclocked to save more power, The wind is really really fast imo

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
It has 2 RAM slots

The intel atom processor is power efficient and fast, and it can be underclocked to save more power, The wind is really really fast imo
Oh and i also think i is important to note that ALDI has a netbook avaliable at the moment, this medion akoya mini, is the MSI wind just cheaper then the winds RRP

although i got my wind for 487

oh and MSY has great prices for the wind

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the medion akoya is msi wind oem :) same specs and drivers

HSC
same everything

all it is, is it a re-labelled MSI wind.

The specs are better in some cases i think

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah they are but otherwise it runs lik a MSI :)
it is the MSI so obviously.. lol... if i didnt get this so cheap i would of bought it

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
it is the MSI so obviously.. lol... if i didnt get this so cheap i would of bought it
install osx86 distro on it :) lol...i think its got ppretty decent support on it.. personally i just put a mac skinned linux on.. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
install osx86 distro on it :) lol...i think its got ppretty decent support on it.. personally i just put a mac skinned linux on.. :)
You need to replace the wireless card, but otherwise I think it all works OOB.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
yeah and that is simple, all you need to do is remove screws lift of the bottom cover and there it is.

I am sticking with windows at the moment

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
yeah and that is simple, all you need to do is remove screws lift of the bottom cover and there it is.

I am sticking with windows at the moment
One thing it does do though is void your warranty.

rowan38

Banned
HSC
Laptops can have a fairly wide variety of component options, but they are more limited than desktops. To get a more powerful laptop (higher speed, better graphics, more storage space, etc.), the price can be considerably higher, ranging up to $1500 or more, depending on the brand.

rowan38

Banned
HSC
best laptop at the galance
The best 2-in-1: Microsoft Surface Pro 7.
The best business laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme.
The budget laptop: Acer Aspire E 15.
The best gaming laptop: Razer Blade 15.
The best for video editing: Dell XPS 15.
The best for photo editing: Apple MacBook Pro.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)