• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Laptops at school (2 Viewers)

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Do any of you take laptops with you to school?

Also, when you study, do you use a computer or find that there are too many distractions?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
No, I don't take a laptop to school. If I ever needed to use a computer at school, I would usually borrow their laptops, they are better than the desktops they have at school, and a lot faster as well.

I find that whenever I'm trying to study, I'll get distracted anyway, so I'll use the computer when studying, at least there's a small chance of me using the internet for schoolwork.

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
No I don't take my laptop to school, thats what the school computers are for and at least those are allowed on the network.

Sometimes I shall use the computer really depends on what I am studying.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I don't take a laptop to school, only know 2 boys in the year group that do and they have their reasons. My computer is not in my room, I find that I'm less distracted if the computer is not right next to me while I'm studying.

robo-andie

HSC
I don't take my laptop to school. The risk of someone screwing around with it is too high.

I use the computer to study. I type faster then I write and I can make really clear and organised study notes on the computer.

I do all my practise essays by hand though.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
No, but i do take it when i go study at state or fisher libarey.

And sometimes i use the computer for research or just notes for subjects if i don't have time. I don't get distracted from it anyone, unlike before as i now just don't log into msn when studying, instead of leaving it on busy.

Last edited:

Sofstar

HSC
N/A to your first question.

I don't use to computer to study at all. I hand write my notes, cuz i get it in by writing. Only use the computer to find info for my notes.
Doing assignments on the computer sucks.....especially with msn lurking on the desktop....ohh and all those sites in favourites.....soo evil.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I took a laptop to school every day in years 11/12 - was great - no waiting around for school computers (or pesky year 7s playing games) plus i was friendly with sysadmin so i could connect to the internet etc. Another benefit is I could run the programs I wanted to run, and I didn't have to rely on the schools (always faulty or down) technology. Plus you can have ALL your notes with you, in a 2-3KG laptop rather than carrying a MASSIVE folder of paper around - much easier to find the info you want the instant it pops in your head rather than fishing around paper. Also, easier to stay organised and late at night, just inrease font size rather than trying to decipher handwriting (mine was bad)
All in all, it is up to you - how diligent you are abot personal security (ie not leave it lying around or show it off) But you will find if you can avoid distractions such as MSN/Internet whilst at school, it is a benefit.

501n2u

HSC
Yeah, I use to use laptops at school because it's compulsory in my school to bring a laptop. But I've stopped bringing my laptop this year because I find it really distracting, and also I find that if I write my notes I remember it more. I do like to write my notes and then type it on computer, and print it out to put into my folders.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i get sooo distracted on the computer, i prefer to write with all my books and notes handy and my stereo playing in my room. i don't have a lap top but if i did i wouldn't take it too school - too much chance of something happening to it. though it would be useful because of the increased security on the school computers its impossible to go just about anywhere on the net anymore ( seriously) i don't even bother with the school comps anymore, i mean it takes practically half the period ( 40 mins) just to log on.

nwatts

HSC
I used one from year 10 through year 12. Very handy. Wouldn't have survived without it.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
We actually had laptops for every bench in physics since the last two weeks of last term. Apparently it's supposed to be used for entering our experiment data straight after doing the experiment...We didn't use it much though. And it was rather startling for me to walk into the lab one day to find a laptop sitting in the middle of my bench, right in front of where I sit :p

w00dy.

HSC
i dont need to have a laptop or anything of the such at school. its only a special requirement for those kids whose hand writing is too messy for teachers to read. they are the only lucky ones at our school who get to benefit from a laptop

i do and i dont use my computer for study. it depends really. if i had to choose. id possibly prefer to get lost in study listening to music. than to get lost in study chatting to friends or exploring the net as such.

nwatts

HSC
w00dy. said:
i dont need to have a laptop or anything of the such at school. its only a special requirement for those kids whose hand writing is too messy for teachers to read. they are the only lucky ones at our school who get to benefit from a laptop
They're hardly lucky. :rolleyes:

theodore223

God's reincarnate
HSC
i dont have onebut if i did i wouldnt take it as it is very uncommon at my school and it isnt the safest school around. I do have a handheld though and i do take that as i find it easier to put in hwk dates etc.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
My old school has a TEC (technology enabled class) program, where junior students are given the option of using laptops for their work instead of traditional means. It doesnt cost much extra as the computers are discounted by Toshiba and you can pay in installments.

I used a laptop in yr7 and 8

Last edited by a moderator:

amanmai

HSC
I go to a school which has recently made it "absolutely necessary" to bring a laptop to school. I have gotten in trouble regularly because I refuse to take my laptop to school. We only got it in the first place because we were able to rent and that they based the entire curriculum on the laptops in year 10. If you tried handwriting, you'd miss out on in-class emails, handouts, websites, etc. There was no choice but to get a laptop.

I think laptops in schools are a stupid idea. My school now has the program beginning in Year 7 and are thinking about putting it into practice in the primary school as well. I can think of nothing worse. They are a distraction in class and unless you can focus really hard on what the teacher's saying as well as what's on your screen, you've got my respect. Personally, I felt like I was falling behind in Year 10. Once I got into VCE and handwrote all my notes, I felt on top of things again.

Yeah, it's a rich school. But my parents sent me here, I worked hard to get a scholarship, and dammit if I'm not going to try hard in my work to make it all pay off.

And it's not bragging. Bragging implies we're showing off to someone. We're not. We're discussing what it is to have a laptop in the class room, it's usefullness and disadvantages. Laptops are just an extra that some of our schools offer, that's all. And it's nothing really to brag about as they only reduce productivity and concentration. I wish they'd never decided to have them at all.

HSC
yeah. i agree with the whole distraction factor. ive got a really crappy attention span:( and if you gave me a laptop at school im willing to bet id fail my hsc :bomb: but yeah.. theres nothing wrong with school comps.. true they're crap, but what do you intend on doing on it?

thats my contribution:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)