• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Laptops in open book exams? (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
A thought suddenly struck me: are laptops permitted in open book exams? I'm thinking with Law especially, it'll be really useful for organisation of notes and think of how cool the search/find function would be? :p Somehow I doubt this is allowed though, but... I've never seen it mentioned anywhere?

EDIT: But even if they aren't allowed, wouldn't it be much better to have typed up notes (neat, logically structured) for easy reference in the exams?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
A thought suddenly struck me: are laptops permitted in open book exams? I'm thinking with Law especially, it'll be really useful for organisation of notes and think of how cool the search/find function would be? :p Somehow I doubt this is allowed though, but... I've never seen it mentioned anywhere?
no it's not allowed. primary reason is that because laptops allow for wireless internet access and communication with other students, which is of course unfair.
EDIT: But even if they aren't allowed, wouldn't it be much better to have typed up notes (neat, logically structured) for easy reference in the exams?
that's the point :)

unless you got an abnormal fetish for calligraphy, type up your notes in well-spaced out, indexed paper.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
no, not really. two reasons:

a) computer all over campus, computer at home. the only reason you need a comp is while in transit, which even i don't need. plus, batteries, weight blahblah. best to take notepad, pens, USB flash memory stick and voice recorder.

b) impractical really for a law student. risk of theft.

alien

HSC
yeah i think i'll get a usb drive for transferring stuff. no way i can afford a laptop anyway

Lainee

HSC
Well, a laptop for writing notes in lectures. Then I won't have to retype my written notes when I get home.

Closed book...? Shit that means a lot of memorising... Are you sure about that?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Depends, about ~80% of usyd law exams are open book and another ~19% is 'limited open book' (course materials allowed)

The legal test to see if asqy is talking shit is to see if the words 'usyd law' are in his post :p

Lainee

HSC
Suvat said:
The legal test to see if asqy is talking shit is to see if the words 'usyd law' are in his post :p
:D *quickly scribbles that down* Will we be tested on that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)