• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

late round offers (1 Viewer)

muscleman09

HSC
Hey all, I just wanted to know... After the main round offers have been released on January 20th, whats the chances of getting into your course after then.

I know that the complete final date for course selection is Feb 10th.. its just my final preferences are completely not what i want... and i have a feeling i won't be accepted to those courses. Does anyone know if people still manage to get into their desired course after main round offers?

Also, with our preferences... does it just go through in order until a uni accepts you?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'll just answer what I'm sure of: Yes, people still manage to get into their desired courses after main round offers.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Thats the thing..Aerath only answered what you mosts likely already knew and what everyone knows but he didn't add to the answer that ONLY people who have HIGH or even VERY HIGH ATARS/UAI ONLY are more than likely to get an offer in the late round..since most courses probably are going to be harder to get into provided that the ATAR cut offs increase. People who got lowww atars are LESS likely to get into the late round/ final...only in the main.

And I dont know why the HELL people who have preferences are upset about it in the main round but then there all braggy or show offs and say that they got a UAI/ATAR of..ABOVE 90-93 *EYEROLL*...I mean SERIOUSLY..those types of people shouldn't even have a THING to worry about their preferences since they can recieve an offer in basically ANY round

Andi0390

HSC
Your preferences work your way down through the order. For example, if you do not meet the requirements for your first course they will then look at your second, then third etc. It doesn't disadvantage you if its third on the list of first, you will still be judged equally.

You have nine preferences, I don't know about you, but I made sure that my ninth (or last) was something I would definitely get into. It was my safety university.

I got the offer I wanted in the late round last year, but that was partly because I sat UniTest.

Some universities and courses "inflate" their published UAI and therefore people with lower UAIs get in the late rounds. For example I knew a handful of people who applied to UC with UAI's around 5 points lower than the published cut off for that year that still got into the course they wanted in the late rounds. I think this is much less common for the better/more desirable universities.

To be honest, I am firmly of the belief that if you don't know what course you want to do before you go to university then you probably shouldn't be going yet. I see these people with six different courses, sometimes quite unrelated, and I wonder what the hell these people are doing. If you don't know what you want to do now, its unlikely that when you finish the degree you weren't sure you wanted to do you'll actually want to work at that field for the next god knows how long.

Until people firmly know basically what they want to do I think they should take some time off, maybe do some work experience in relevant fields. Its perfectly fine to change your mind while you are doing uni, but you should at least start with a direction. Its thousands of dollars and years of time, but a lot of people these days are more interested in the money university could bring them, rather than actually enjoying their lives.

Sorry - ramble. My point is that if you chose a first preference and then hours later decided you definitely don't want that then I think you should evaluate whether you should go to university right now, because you don't want to do a course for six months, regret it all, transfer, be behind, fail, fall into debt and drop out.

You can get offers in the later rounds though, not from all institutions and only from the courses with available places. :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)