law at UMAC (2 Viewers)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
ive only been doing it for a few months now... but it seems pretty good. i have friends doing law at sydney and NSW and they arent learning anything different to me. we help each other out its so similar! the work at the moment is pretty dry but its the same with all courses. and the law society is pretty active

in the end, no matter where you go, u come out with the same degree as everyone else.

in short, yea mac's pretty good for law :D

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
THe stuff you learn and what knowledge you actually acquire are roughly the same for UNSW, USYD and MQ. But in reputation terms, MQ lags behind very badly. USYD is considered to be the most prestigious law school with UNSW not far behind. MQ is probably 4th behind UTS.

But if you are not worried with the reputation, then what you learn from law@MQ is not far behind UNSW and USYD.

Personal opinion is, if you are not relying on you law degree (i.e. you dont want to be a lawyer), then combining it with some other degree will separate you from all the guys with single degrees. For example, combining law with finance is a good option as more and more people with law degrees are being recruited into top companies. Many accounting firms are also recommending future accountants to study law, as this will give them a competitive advantage over other people.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
UMAQ,USYD,UNSW,UWS are all good law schools IMO.....
but the one that stands out from the crowd has got to be UOW law..100% employment rate!!!!!!

but yes, with ur original question, UMQ law is cool.....just not as cool as UOW law...

But one thing i have heard is that UMQ law is fairly focussed on social justice issues as well in its law degree...good if ur into all that kinda stuff...

IMO UNSW and USYD law has pretty much the same rep.....just that USYD is targeted at euro/american places and UNSW is famous in Asia.

UOW law is universal :p :p :p

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
ahahaha i think santaslayer has been a bit blinded about his/her course simply because they go there.

macq apparently has more law students than syd which would account somewhat for the UAI cutoff being in the 95s as opposed to a mark or two higher. It's ok, but you'd only go there if, like me, you didn't get high enough to get in to syd, unsw or Uts. Uow is the same but below macq. in the case of law, the UAI cutoffs pretty accurately reflect how good each law course is. UNSW and Syd are virtually the same, then UTS, then macq, then UOW, wollongong and the rest. the exception would be ACU - it has a cutoff around 95 but is every bit as good as syd or unsw (both the actual teaching and the rep)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by golfstick
ahahaha i think santaslayer has been a bit blinded about his/her course simply because they go there.

macq apparently has more law students than syd which would account somewhat for the UAI cutoff being in the 95s as opposed to a mark or two higher. It's ok, but you'd only go there if, like me, you didn't get high enough to get in to syd, unsw or Uts. Uow is the same but below macq. in the case of law, the UAI cutoffs pretty accurately reflect how good each law course is. UNSW and Syd are virtually the same, then UTS, then macq, then UOW, wollongong and the rest. the exception would be ACU - it has a cutoff around 95 but is every bit as good as syd or unsw (both the actual teaching and the rep)
What is the difference, may i ask, about 'wollongong' and 'UOW'?

and no im not blinded...UOW law is the best in terms of graduate outcomes and employment rate! :p

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yeah..i don't really take notice of what Santaslayer says anymore... because everything he says is UOW ..... hehehe sorry santaslayer but ur voice has lost it's credibility hehehe same with minai's.....i don't really like it when people can't be critical of their uni's when need be... also to all those people i.e minai... who are just toooo patriotic about their uni's to the point it makes me sick

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
sorry i meant UWS and UOW :p

they both have U and W in them!

i'm not even sure which of those two santaslayer goes to. either way it doesn't matter too much

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by clairegirl
yeah..i don't really take notice of what Santaslayer says anymore... because everything he says is UOW ..... hehehe sorry santaslayer but ur voice has lost it's credibility hehehe same with minai's.....i don't really like it when people can't be critical of their uni's when need be... also to all those people i.e minai... who are just toooo patriotic about their uni's to the point it makes me sick
Well its kinda hard to be critical....but i'll try my best...:p

UOW is a shit uni coz the people in it are too smart.......the 100% employment rate for both engineering and law are actually intimidating unis like UNSW/USYD/UMQ etc.
The competitive employment rates At UOW just sucks arse coz it is giving first year undergraduates like me immense pressure to perform well.....WHICH IS HARZARDOUS IN A WAY...

meh.....i tried my best...:p

santaslayer

HSC
sorry i meant UWS and UOW :p

they both have U and W in them!

i'm not even sure which of those two santaslayer goes to. either way it doesn't matter too much
Which effectivley illustrates ur inferior knowledge about Law schools in Australia...therefore..what i have said is quite credible !!!!! :p

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
intimidating them???

hahaha *tries not to fall off seat*

you know, you might actually make a good lawyer one day, you've definitely quite a competent bullshit artist already. :)

santaslayer

HSC
intimidating them???

hahaha *tries not to fall off seat*

you know, you might actually make a good lawyer one day, you've definitely quite a competent bullshit artist already. :)

Why thank you :p

but seriously, the statistics i have aforementioned are actually true...refer to a recent publication of the Good Uni Guide. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
You need to study the two first year Law units - 103 and 113?* And then you're allowed to transfer if you pass them both.

*I think the requirements should be something just below a Credit average.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol......just cos you are doing law at unsw...

Originally posted by flyin'
You need to study the two first year Law units - 103 and 113?* And then you're allowed to transfer if you pass them both.

*I think the requirements should be something just below a Credit average.
but how do you study LAW units when you are not doing law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)