Law At UWS (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
hey 2 questions.....

1) does anyone know why the demand for law courses a UWS dropped so dramatically between 2002-03? i.e.....705680-B Health Science/B Laws was 96.6 in 2002 but in 2003 it dropped to 90.10 ????? (Parramatta Campus)

2) how is the teaching quality at uws for law? and what aboutjob prospects?

thanks!!!!!

:( :( :confused:

Dingo

Banned
most students who study law at uws, when they graduate, they dont work as a solicitor or barister, but they rather work in the business, finance industry.

most of uws's law graduates take up high manager positions in finance companies or any business kinda company.

peace^^

adamj

Originally posted by Dingo
most students who study law at uws, when they graduate, they dont work as a solicitor or barister, but they rather work in the business, finance industry.

most of uws's law graduates take up high manager positions in finance companies or any business kinda company.

peace^^
That's probably true, from the business perspective, UWS Law graduates really don't move on to become lawyers, even though they have practical legal training.

adamj

Originally posted by last minute
what career opportunities are opened if i were to chose b arts/law at uws?
You are legible to become a lawyer, but Arts is a very broad area. Arts is made up of your own pool of subjects with your chosen majors.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
I would think that if you are determined enough, no matter what university you study at and no matter what you study - as long as you do well and supplement your degree with extra-curricular activities that enhance your skills for the profession or in general, then you will be as successful and competitive as the next person.

As for perceptions in the legal profession market, I couldn't really say. Though, I would think that if a USYD law student was evidently less competent than a UWS or UTS law student and they got the job, the firm wouldn't be worth working for.

Last edited:

Dingo

Banned
well in the UWS booklet, it says most law graduates work in the business industry rather than law.

there is ONE course offered at UWS which is more recognised than any other unis in australia.

B Business (Property)
60-70% of students secure a job b4 graduation
and upon graduation 100% of graduates secure a job.

santaslayer

HSC
haha...sounds funny comming from a a guy doing arts/laws at a super prestigious uni.....what arts major r u doing asq?

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
hey 2 questions.....

1) does anyone know why the demand for law courses a UWS dropped so dramatically between 2002-03? i.e.....705680-B Health Science/B Laws was 96.6 in 2002 but in 2003 it dropped to 90.10 ????? (Parramatta Campus)

2) how is the teaching quality at uws for law? and what aboutjob prospects?

thanks!!!!!

:( :( :confused:
THink about is seriously, if you got over 90's would you goto UWS, no you'd be heading to the more estabilshed univerity or goto wollongong to do LAW,

Every other university says their job outcome is above state average so guess what uni is below? lolz, bit it more depends on you personally and how well you do in uni :)

memo

Is it really worth the travel? I got over 90 and I'm transferring from usyd (comp sci) to uws to do law. I have been thinking about this a bit recently I have the marks to go UOW but I always thought law is law and like most other industries once you get a few years experience under your belt you are in just as good position as someone who came from a better uni. The starting salary might be substantially lower but after a few years of experience it shouldn't matter which uni you came from.

santaslayer

HSC
well memo, that really happens in fairy tales i reckon. unless u have really kicked ass in a not so well established uni, then ur chances of being in "the same position" as people from USYD, UNSW, UTS etc.. "after a few yrs experience" is far from the truth.

memo

Well after 2 years at usyd doing the recommended IT units I really can't see any use or any value it can bring to any business, hence the change. I don't know about law but in IT experience means so much more. I will still probably look to work in IT I just feel law will improve my communication and help me get my foot in the door in a non programmer position.

memo

Originally posted by santaslayer
ohh.so ur not even planning on doing law right?...just using it as a support degree?
Yeah, don't even like law all that much doing it to improve my english and communcation skills.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)