• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law Transfer from Commerce (Liberal Studies) (1 Viewer)

shogo64

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering if it is possible to transfer from (Commerce Liberal Studies) into at Commerce/Law Degree at Usyd? By dropping the Arts units of study? I want to transfer internally into law, but if I didn't make it I would feel more comfortable doing Comm (Lib) than just Commerce.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you can.

However, I would think studying Commerce at UNSW would be better.

Why?

- In 2013, they are guaranteeing 100 internal transfers to combined law
- Better Business school, better commerce degree
- If you don't perform well and are unable to transfer, UNSW have a 2 year JD program (postgrad equilivant to LLB) which will give you a Commerce+Law degree in 5 years, same as everyone else.
-Another great advantage of UNSW is this: If you get into Combined law through the internal transfer, you can still apply for Comm/Law at USyd, because USyd 1st year transfers are completely through UAC and do not favour internal transfers like UNSW do. Thus, you'd be at no disadvantage from doing the degree at UNSW, if you intend on transferring to USyd. It is also much easier to internal transfer to UNSW Combined Law than it is to USyd, so your worst case scenario would be a UNSW combined law degree, which is pretty damn good...

http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/future-students/undergraduate/entry/internal-program-transfer

However, if you have your sights set on USyd, go for it! But studying Comm (Lib) would mean it'd take you 4 years so if you can't transfer, you'll take 7 years to study law because the JD at USyd is 3 years. I think studying maybe a single Arts or Commerce degree would be your best bet. Work hard the first year, get good marks and transfer straight away!

Good luck.

PS> What was your ATAR?

Last edited:

shogo64

HSC
Wow thanks so much for the help!

Ahh I what you mean better of doing a single arts or commerce degree and going for the JD worst case.Although my view was if I didn't get the transfer to simply do the Liberal Studies degree only.

Yeh at the moment I'm leaning towards UNSW, they seem more open about their transfer policies, the definite 100 spots.

My ATAR was 98.8, so I wasn't sure if the 50% ATAR consideration for internal transfers at USYD is a good or bad thing?

But thanks for the help really cleared up some doubts :)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
No problem, I'm glad to help. I'm in the same boat as you are.

My friend last year got 99.20 and he did Commerce (majoring in finance) at UNSW. He got a WAM of 74 (which is a high credit) and he found out last week that he was accepted via internal transfer into combined law. He told me that he didn't study that much and slacked off at times. If you go to UNSW and study Commerce, with an ATAR of 98.80 (which is very good), and put in hard work you can easily get than WAM of 75+, which pretty much will get you into law.

If you look through the USyd + UNSW transfer thread here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=253865 you'll see that a few who got 98.5ish and a GPA of 6 couldn't make it into USyd.

But in order to achieve that transfer it all depends on what you enjoy. Arts and Commerce are two completely different faculties, which one do you enjoy more? Look through the core units of both courses in the first year (at both institutions) and make an informed decision.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2012/3502.html

Do you enjoy accounting, microeconomics, statistics etc? If so, then Commerce at UNSW might be for you.

Also check out USyd Arts+Commerce and UNSW Arts.

I got an ATAR of 99.15, but I'm not keen on doing Commerce because I hated economics in highschool and accounting+statistics don't seem too appealling to me. I love Arts though and USyd is a better Arts degree, so that's the only reason I'm leaning towards USyd.

But for Commerce, certainly UNSW!

Good luck :)

shogo64

HSC
Haha I'm definitely more inclined towards Commerce, I was only interested in the Arts major so I could do a language component. And yeh thanks for your help, think I'm leaning towards UNSW at the moment.

All the best in your endeavours :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)