law transfer (1 Viewer)

M@C D@DDY

HSC
IF i am doing com/law at ANU and i got 64,68,83,89 as my four subs and my uai was 96.7 do i have any chance of transfer back to usyd or unsw law? because if i use tht gpa thing my 64 would just miss out on a crdit and my 83 just miss out on a HD.. thus my gpa would be below a d avg hence no transfer or would they take into my higher marks into account? WOuldn't it beenefit me more if they simply added up my marks and then averaged them out which would produce a 76 hence a d average.;...
Thanks for your help

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
M@C D@DDY said:
IF i am doing com/law at ANU and i got 64,68,83,89 as my four subs and my uai was 96.7 do i have any chance of transfer back to usyd or unsw law? because if i use tht gpa thing my 64 would just miss out on a crdit and my 83 just miss out on a HD.. thus my gpa would be below a d avg hence no transfer or would they take into my higher marks into account? WOuldn't it beenefit me more if they simply added up my marks and then averaged them out which would produce a 76 hence a d average.;...
Thanks for your help
Currently your GPA is 5.5. If you continued that next semester, and had a final GPA of 5.5, your selection rank would be 93. Thus your NRSL rank (96.7 + 93 / 2) = 94.85.

For USYD, the NRSL cut-off is usually at least 96. You would be hard pressed making the transfer unless you manage to pull up your socks next semester.

If you got all D's next semester, your GPA would be 5.75 and your selection rank would be 94, hence your NRSL cut-off would be 95.35. My advice is work very hard next semester, and you may be fortunate.

You can verify your calculations and read more info here .

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
A helpful guide: I got a UAI of 95.25 and a 1st year GPA of 6.0 (a NRSL of 95.625) and did not get a transfer to UNSW Law...so you'll probably need to work VERY hard I'm afraid to say

M@C D@DDY

HSC
It just seems to me a little unfair that they do not take into account the actual marks because if my 64 became a 65 then my gpa would be 5.75... surely they have to take into account the fact that you got a high mark (89) and use that to offset the lower marks... ALso at ANU the bands are different 60-70 a C, 70-80 a D, 80-100 a HD would that have any effect? because the law faculty has a quota system where only a certain amount of ppl can get a D and HD... damn should have probably just studied commerce... Does studying commerce alone like minai and doing a combined have any difference??

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
M@C D@DDY said:
It just seems to me a little unfair that they do not take into account the actual marks because if my 64 became a 65 then my gpa would be 5.75... surely they have to take into account the fact that you got a high mark (89) and use that to offset the lower marks... ALso at ANU the bands are different 60-70 a C, 70-80 a D, 80-100 a HD would that have any effect? because the law faculty has a quota system where only a certain amount of ppl can get a D and HD... damn should have probably just studied commerce... Does studying commerce alone like minai and doing a combined have any difference??
i think, in your case, you might want to inquire at the law facs of UNSW/USYD.

but seriously, but for the location, ANU has a good law school and can mix it with both of them :D

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
so for usyd law youd need to look at a NSWNRSL (or the final score you calculate after (UAI + selection rank)/2) of at least 96
and for unsw law itd be a little less than that level? or perhaps around it based on demand... :(

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sharpshooter said:
so for usyd law youd need to look at a NSWNRSL (or the final score you calculate after (UAI + selection rank)/2) of at least 96
and for unsw law itd be a little less than that level? or perhaps around it based on demand... :(
It changes every year, and according to USYD's law school it is quite unpredicatable. However as Minai said, he got almost 96 for his NRSL cut-off but missed it. So I would imagine that at least 96 is required for UNSW alone, and USYD would probably be slightly higher, say 97 or so.

You can inquire at the law faculties as to the most recent NRSL cut-offs. USYD seems willing to tell students but you will probably have trouble getting it out of UNSW.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sharpshooter said:
haha great, GPA of 6.5 it is :p thanks for that, ill keep dreaming now :)
Give it a shot, it's a great motivator and there's no harm in getting good marks in the process :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)