• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

LDPE & HDPE (1 Viewer)

lilkatie

Do we have to know about these substances? I think we do but I can't find it in the syllabus
thanks in advance

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Yup, at least in general and the production of one of them... Just about polyethylene, look at last years HSC, question 17...

Will Hunting

HSC
They're kinda handy. I'll run you through...

HDPE - High density polyethylene(ethene). Its structure is crystalline, or linear, meaning that it is tougher and more rigid than other varieties of polyethylene. Its average molecular weight is also quite high, giving it greater hardness and higher colligative properties (MPT/BPT) than others.

LDPE - Low density polyethylene(ethene). Its structure is amorphous, or branched, meaning that it is flimsier and has greater flexion than other forms of polyethylene. Its average molecular weight tends to be lower than that of HDPE, hence, making it better suited to applications requiring less tensile strength in a material.

You might want to take note of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene(ethene), too. It's an extremely sturdy form of plastic used in bullet-proof vests as a substitute for Kevlar and in ice-skating rinks (as the ice), its hardness owing to its size in molecular terms.

Catch you later! :)

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
The actual syllabus dot point says "outline the steps in the production of polyethylene as an example of a commercially and industrially important polymer"

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
thunderdax said:
The actual syllabus dot point says "outline the steps in the production of polyethylene as an example of a commercially and industrially important polymer"
this refers more so to LDPE where by:
initiation, propogation, termination
u need to know in detail... (500K, 1000-3000 atm pressure, presence of initiator)

the process to manufacture HDPE is zeigler natta process, requiring relative low temp/pressure (60C/ 2-3 atm) and catalysts (trialkylalumnium + titanium (III) chloride)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)