Lear (1 Viewer)

clucy

I have to discuss this statement: 'Conflict is the essence of all good drama' with reference to two scenes from King Lear and im not sure if i agree or disagree, nor do i get what im looking for in the scenes. If anyone has any ideas on the statement and can help me in starting this discussion that would be great!

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
All drama is created by tention between the characters. Conflict is the act of releasing tention in a violent way (verbally or physically).

A good scene to use is when Lear asks Cordelia to verbalise her love for him. She has a conflict with him because he she refuses to say things which words cannot express. He wants to be told how much he is loved.

And thats all i know (pretty good for someone doing harwood poetry me reckons... sorry if it doesnt help)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
If i was answering that question (thank god i didnt get one like that yuck!) I would refer to Gloucesters eye ploughing scene and say how that was perhaps the pinnicle of conflict and tension! That was such a horrific scene and although people turned their heads and scoffed at the horridness that scene showed deeper meaning and exposed the characters for what they really were. I would also consider using the fight scene at the end between edmund and edgar .. i believe these two scenes are the pinnacle of conflict throughout the play. the get the audience intrigued and if not intrigued feeling some kind of emotion whether it be disgust, anxiety, hatred watever - thats wat makes a good drama! having the audience feel something toward the play.

KarmaKitten

HSC
obviously conflict is the essence of all good drama
without it, it wouldnt be a drama anywhere

the love test would be a good scene and maybe the scene where albany confronts regan about her behaviour towards edmond

Sush

well i dont think you would get very far in disagreeing with this statement firstly because the whole play is full of conflict, where isn't there conflict?!?!? n also you could even say (im pullin this one outta nowhere) theres the ultimate conflict of the play in good vs. evil n bring in some productions/ critics/ interpretations -taht could score some brownie points lol n you could also take "good drama" as King Lear as a play taht has textual integrity and draw that into it, i think it would be good to draw upon ideas wider than simply using king lear as an example of a plot that contains conflict whihc has some sort of dramatic effect for the audience, making it a good play, but yeh just some ideas i thought of :)

oh n with the scene thing, don't get too caught up in them saying "with specific reference to 2 scenes" i thinks its mainly just gettin u to narrow it down and discuss 2 scenes in detail rather than the whole play briefly, coz its quite hard to make very specific references on such a rich n coplex text, so yeh just narrowin it down

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)