• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Learning Algorithms (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Anyone know a good book/site to learn just plain algorithms ?

im really struggling with this especially from a very bad exam mark

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i dunno many books but last yr in year 10 i looked at the old excel computing studies 2 and 3 unit computing studies courses which were from... a long time ago

yeah.. they got me thru year 10 i borrowed them from stanton library in north sydney

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
yeah

the type that will be in the HSC

e.g. write an algorithm to run a ticket machine etc..

Fiona

Ok by standard I think I meant stuff like... an algorithm for string type stuff.

That stuff, the scenario stuff, I think you just need practice... so I would have no idea about any web sites or anything, sorry dude! :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
how did u guys/girls learn to write algorithms ? where did you get practice ?

Fiona

Text books. they are good for algorithms.

And for just structural type of practice, just make up algorithms for everyday tasks like... Well, a whole day or something!

And also... Study the structure of standard algorithms (like extraction, er... well other array and string type stuff).

Oh oh... A good one, construct an algorithm for babysitting a crapload of kids with all different needs...

Or one for shooting rabbits. Every fourth rabbit has to be shot, and if it is female you let it live and send it somewhere else, etc etc.

If that is the kind of thing you want, I can supply you with that kind of crap. Very much funness :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
fun ? lol

i had to try learn algorithms as fast as possible. i screwed up my sdd half yearly cuz of it

now i need to learn it as quick as possible before the trials

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
ive got part of a book on algorithms on pdf. i dont remember if its from here or soemwhere else, anyway the filename is 1995_SDD_N_Methods_of_Algorithm_Description_BOS.pdf (if that helps)

Last edited:

del

HSC
N/A
learnt the sorting ones with playing cards.. by stepping through the algorithms...... 'twas a very good idea of the teacher

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
ive got part of a book on algorithms on pdf. i dont remember if its from here or soemwhere else, anyway the filename is 1995_SDD_N_Methods_of_Algorithm_Description_BOS.pdf (if that helps)
I was about to recommend that file - it's from the old 3u Computing Studies course, but it's still an excellent resource for SDD.

You can download it HERE.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
lol

wow

i just remembered about that

i had this forum bookmarked and forgot that boredofstudies resource still existed.

thanks for that :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
i just took a look at it

its the exact thing our old sdd teacher printed for us and handed it to us.

hmmm would that be all i need to learn to write algorithms ?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
hmmm would that be all i need to learn to write algorithms ?
If you know and understand everything that is presented in that guidebook, you should be more than prepared to answer any exam questions requiring you to write an algorithm. I believe that there are additional questions (without solutions) provided at the end of it, for practice.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
How did you guys learn to write algorithms ?

i looked at that pdf and i understand how everything works and what it does but i just can't seem to apply it.

then i look at a question and the solution. i understand how they got the solution then when i try to do one of my own im completely stumped. i don't know how to begin. ( no pun intended ! :p)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i learnt by constantly doing examples. but dont go straight to the complex algorithms. start by doing simple examples and make sure you master them. then go onto the harder ones. and make sure you know exactly the steps required in a logical sequence and put that to an algorithm.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
my teacher said to learn to code in simple BASIC

because it resembles algorithms very closely. is this true ?

should i use my time to learn BASIC ?

Fiona

I wouldn't bother... Because in the HSC you're not going to get tested on BASIC, it will be pseudocode or flowcharts... kind of thing...

But then again I have never actually done anything in BASIC so I wouldn't know how similar it is.

But if you have to learn one way or the other... I would personally keep it as simple as possible and just learn the pseudocode

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
yeah

i find it surprisingly hard to learn it.

i can't keep to get things started. like when q question asks me to write a algorithm for this situation i have no clue how to start my first few lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)