• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

legal case....avo's shooting after exit of court room (1 Viewer)

steph123

hey everyone...just looking for this legal case. i want to use it to show how AVO's are not always effective....not sure what the case is about but...its something along the lines of as soon as the woman took out an AVO she walked outside and was shot by her husband...

PLEASE any help is great
thankyou

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I know there are three but I can only remember the "Jean Lennon" case at the moment. I think that was in 1997 outside of the Family Court in Sydney somewhere.

The ex-husband went nuts and shot her even though he had his gun licence revoked.

On the whole however, AVOs are effective and do work.

The other problem is when people don't report breaches of the AVO to the police.

santaslayer

HSC
I tend to disagree. But that's just me. :p

With respect, AVO's do tend to decrease the amount of problems of violent recidivism that occurs in Australia. It can act as an effective detterent to some.
The problem lies in the nature of an AVO. AVO's are usually given out after the problem has occured, being prescriptive, rather than proactive. ie usually damage has been done.
That being said, police are able to hand out AVO's even if they 'reasonably suspect' violence to have occurred.

But yes, the Jean Lennon case is the probably the most major recent case of breaches of AVO's. The man followed Jean across state borders within Australia, stalking her (like I stalked christ :p) wherever she went. Jean was shot outside Parramatta Court by her former husband. This lead to an overhaul of the AVO system. One major amendment was the use of police protection to and from court by the alleged victim. :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
I tend to disagree. But that's just me. :p

With respect, AVO's do tend to decrease the amount of problems of violent recidivism that occurs in Australia. It can act as an effective detterent to some.
The problem lies in the nature of an AVO. AVO's are usually given out after the problem has occured, being prescriptive, rather than proactive. ie usually damage has been done.
That being said, police are able to hand out AVO's even if they 'reasonably suspect' violence to have occurred.

But yes, the Jean Lennon case is the probably the most major recent case of breaches of AVO's. The man followed Jean across state borders within Australia, stalking her (like I stalked christ :p) wherever she went. Jean was shot outside Parramatta Court by her former husband. This lead to an overhaul of the AVO system. One major amendment was the use of police protection to and from court by the alleged victim. :)
Yeah but the problem with the whole legal system is that it only provides solutions to the symptoms and not to the overall problems. That's the way it's structured.

AVOs are only issued once someone has been beaten to a pulp and if someone is really determined after you have an AVO - you'll get beaten to a pulp again! It can't stop someone that's determined and it doesn't solve the underlying problems but doing that would involve a lot more time, effort and resources and that isn't going to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)